Loosing presure in my Worcester greenstar HE plus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When having the boiler servised last week I mentioned to the enginear that I had to keep topping the boiler up every day. He said that the boiler was working fine and that I should keep topping it up, which I have been doing. I top up to 2 bar by the next day it is down to 0 weather the heating is on or not. He said that he could come back and inject sealing additive. Is this something that you would recomend and could I do it myself? The water level in the towel radiator up stairs drops as well and I cannot find a leak anywhere in the system. Can you help? Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would never use that with a modern boiler.

Is this a budget insurance based cover like Homeserve?
Have you put a bottle over the pressure release valve vent?

Tony

I would never use that with a modern boiler.

Is this a budget insurance based cover like Homeserve?
Have you put a bottle over the pressure release valve vent?

Tony

Hello Agile, Thanks for your response. I do not have a homeserve like cover. And I haven't put a bottle over the vent. I don't know where or what that is.

Agile. Thanks for your response.
I haven't got home cover. And I haven't put a bottle over the vent. I don't know where or what that is! Sorry if you have received this message twice, i'm a newcomer.

Sponsored Links
Agile a friend of mine went to change a knackered boiler the other week, and found someone had soldered an end cap on the PRV :eek: :eek:

Your leak will almost certainly be the Pressure Relief Valve opening to release pressure when 3 bar is reached. This is what it is supposed to do.
The rise in pressure should be about 1 bar when heating is on, so if you're starting at 2 bar it it will go up to 3 bar and open valve.
Try starting at 1 bar and take note of the pressure rise. Although it shouldn't, it still might go up to 3 bar. If it does this is a clear indication of the expansion vessel having lost some of it's air capacity. Meaning less volume of air to compress and a rapid rise in pressure taking it up to 3 bar.
This will need excess water in vessel removing while vessel is pumped up to 0.9 bar.
If you secure a plastic bag on the PRV outlet discharge pipe (outside near boiler) you'll be able to see how much water it collects (if any).

how big is the system? and how old is the boiler?

if it's loosing pressure without the heating being on (as described) then the expansion vessel wouldn't be causing it. There was a period of production where the heat exchangers were passing system water out through the condensate pipe due to a manufacturing fault. put a bucket under the condense pipe and leave the boiler off all night, if there's water in the bucket in the morning that's your problem! I'd contact worcester as they may do it for free

I have the exact same problem here, my system water is leaking down the condensate pipe. The boiler is about 6 years old and been nothing but trouble. Is there any way to fix this like having it welded up ?

I have the exact same problem here, my system water is leaking down the condensate pipe. The boiler is about 6 years old and been nothing but trouble. Is there any way to fix this like having it welded up ?

You need a new heat exchanger. This is a known fault so you might do well ringing worcester.

Thanks for the reply, I have just sent them an email. I don't know how I'm fixed with this if they don't help me I guess I'll have to buy another but it wont be Worcester Bosh.

I'll be sure to let you know how I get on.

how big is the system? and how old is the boiler?

if it's loosing pressure without the heating being on (as described) then the expansion vessel wouldn't be causing it. There was a period of production where the heat exchangers were passing system water out through the condensate pipe due to a manufacturing fault. put a bucket under the condense pipe and leave the boiler off all night, if there's water in the bucket in the morning that's your problem! I'd contact worcester as they may do it for free

WB do a 10 year guarantee on heatcells, you would have to check dates of manufacturer(via serial no ) with them to see if it is! all the current heatcells have 10 year guarantees. They may take a water sample !!

If its not under the 10 yr scheme £210-00 all in fee. Very reasonable when the cell is worth a lot more than that!

Cheers for that - I'm starting to feel a little better now..

I think the boiler is about 6 years old, and its a R 30 HE I don't know the manufacture date.

Here is WB reply

hank you for your enquiry.

Having spoken to our technical department they have informed us that there are no known issues with this model boiler all our boilers under go strict quality control before leaving the factory to ensure they are in the best condition upon leaving us. Technical have also advised that the problem of water leaking out of your condensate pipe may be caused by a fault on the primary heat exchanger. This does not necessarily mean you need to replace the boiler it is very likely that it can be fixed if you would one of our Worcester engineers do this we have two payment options. If you would like details on these please send us your full address.

If you have any further queries please contact us either by using our online facilities or by calling us on 0844 892 3000.

Kind regards
Victoria Finch

Customer Service Team
Bosch Thermotechnology Ltd

what should I do ?

Thanks

Ump..

easy one to answer..say yes.

They will offer you a one off fix for £210= all parts / labour included in this, no hidden extras! They will turn up and fix your boiler in less than an hour! If the engineer notices any other probs he'll bang on those parts too!

The other option will be just shy of £300 which is the same as above but covers your boiler with them for 12 months!

Third option ring me and i'll charge you for the heatcell (about £600 to buy if its a cdi) and then £120 to fit! Thats £720 please sir! ..I know which one i'd take!

For your info these heat cells only leak when the system water is very acidic/sludged up! They will take a water sample but it won't affect your deal it just means if you ring in the next 10 yrs with the same prob they will charge you again because of the state of your system!

Heatcells very very rarely leak internally, i have replaced about 5 in the last 6 years for this problem.

The reasons they leak is due to magnetite sludge contamination which will corrode through anything metallic or The difference in the flow and return temperature is too great causing thermal stress to the heatcell resulting in small cracks.

When the boiler is installed the radiators and heating system should be balanced giving the correct temperature differentitial between the flow and return as per the installation manual and also thourougly cleansed as part of the commisioning process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back