Loosing presure in my Worcester greenstar HE plus

Re-pressurise your boiler to 2 bar and turn off the flow and return isolation valves. Turn off the boiler power and leave over-night. If the pressure gauge drops it is either the prv letting by or the heatcell leaking internally.

Put a small balloon over the prv pipe to eliminate or confirm which one it is.

If the gauge is still on 2 bar in the morning and then drops when you turn the isolation valves the leak is on the heating system.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

Well it was installed by a WB 'approved' installer. So I guess it should have been ok. I know he put some kind of inhibitor in the system. I guess £300 is a good price for this kind of repair, but given I have been lead to believe its a manufacturing fault - might have a 10 year heat cell warranty, and it only lasted 6 years its still a bitter pill to swallow.

This repair seems to be some kind of insurance provided by a 3rd party, so before I get involved in it i'll need to look in to it more.

This is what they say :-

(This is cut and paste from the email.)

The first is a repair only charge of £210. This will cover your Worcester boiler and its Worcester controls for labour, VAT and most parts however, should the boiler require a significant part, (such as a shell, a tank or back plate) or if the boiler is beyond economical repair, then the engineer will quote a revised charge on the day. Any parts fitted will be guaranteed for a period of 12 months and payment for the appointment is reserved, by credit or debit card, at the time of booking and then debited after the appointment has been completed.

edit :- (so if they cant fix it do I get a refund)?

The second option will cover the cost of this repair and will also provide a further 12 months breakdown protection at a cost of £279, which is payable via direct debit in 6 monthly instalments and administered for Worcester, by Domestic and General.

The charge includes labour parts and VAT, however if we find that we are unable to repair the boiler, or that it is uneconomical to repair, then you will be given a full refund. Only your Worcester boiler and its Worcester controls are covered and full terms and conditions will be sent to you within 14 days of taking out the cover.

edit :- so is this insurance and can I just pay the £279 and never have to pay again until something else breaks ?

Given its definitely the heat exchange thats screwed what should I do ?

Thanx for all advice given

Ump..

are you really asking a forum full of proffessional heating engineers to advise you what to do!?! FFS i told you the other day what the charges will be, wb have confirmed this with you and so this should be nearing the end of your story! However you are now coming back and asking for the fine print of a worcester contract to be discuused!! This is not a legal forum!

See CAB or a solicitor to go through any contract if you will but don't ask us!! I am exasperated by you! Are you enjoying the attention or something? No heating engineer alive will compete with Worcester at these prices, what are you waiting for??

@boilerdoktor
Well I was asking which deal I should go with - no one on here is aiming this question at you !! WTF - its really quite simple - if you can't or don't want to answer the question then don't its really that simple !!!

Talk about being up your own backside ...

Edit :-
And whilst were on the subject you have told me nothing that I did not already know. Andygasman2010 confirmed what the problem was which was the reason for me even asking, then YOU piped in with a 10 year warranty idea which proved to not be the case. And now your spitting the dummy out when I ask which option I should go for as if your the only one on here !!!

So think about that before you come back with the attitude . Just think for a moment that someone might just know something you don't.

Sponsored Links
i doubt you will get the primary H/E changed for £210. there will likely be an extra charge for that.

Well he came, replaced the heat cell, tested the exhaust gasses and said it was running to hot and thats what caused the premature failure. He pretty much said its a waste of money to put in system water inhibitor but if I wanted to I could.

The old one was taken back for testing. In the end I went for the £270 option because it protects the rest of the boiler for a year (and he said I will need a new fan in a bit) so glad I did.

fair play, i say thats a result.

the only testing your old H/E is likely to get is its weight at the scrappy. :LOL:

Yeah thats what I thought, but he said they would cut it up and take a look inside. So far this has been the worst boiler I have ever had for things going wrong with it lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back