losing water from radiators

pt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please. Already had one plumber out and problem persists. central heating system keeps draining. Starts as cold radiators then you can hear bubbling or water flowing in pipes then boiler cuts out. IF I reprime the system by letting all air out and increase pressure to 3 bar the boiler cuts in again. 4-6 hours later back to square one. Hot water system based on a large Megaflow tank. Any ideas. Wife and 6 cold kids causing me strife!

Sponsored Links
pt it would appear that you have what's technically called, in the trade, a leak. I suppose ????? it's the boiler which you're talking about - Don't increase the pressure to 3 bar. Check if water's coming out of the pressure relief pipe which I assume ????comes from your boiler and goes through the wall.

Sponsored Links
Next thing, check what happens to the CH pressure after you reprime the system and turn on the heating, does it rise significantly ?.

Could there be corrosion and a breach /leak of the primary coil inside the megaflow, so CH water enters the unvented hot water cylinder.

My suggestion, if you can't find an obvious leak as ChrisR states, see if the CH pressure affects the pressure in the mega flow.

Another test for a breach would be to turn off the boiler and drain down the CH. If there is a breach in the primary, the CH system will never empty unless you turn off the cold supply to the hot water cylinder.

Thanks for sensible suggestions. I thought I would let you know outcome. I turned pressure up to 3 bar again and repeated the process a few times. Eventually water started appearing from behind skirting board adjacent to pipes under solid floor on ground floor - time to start digging. So yes it was what you technos call a leak!! thanks. I am not sure it will sort problem with cold radiators on top floor but well see. Ill let you know after repairs

Final closure on this one. leaking pipe under floor found and mended. 2 ends had completely come adrift! Surprised it was working at all. Excellent new plumber has fixed this and put in new bogger water pump which has sorted cold radiators on top floor. Kids say its too hot now! I know a good plumber in Epsom / Sutton area if you need one. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back