Adding a radiator to a system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant Combi Boiler, and wish to add one new radiator.

I intend to turn off the boiler, turn off the cold water supply, drain the system, cut the pipes to an existing radiator, and extend to the new one.

I have soldered before on cold and hot water pipes to a sink and bath, and plan to do the same on the radiator pipes, but I have not drained down a system before.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
inod,

You say you haven't drained down before so here's a brief description:

Attach a hose to a draindown tap on a downstairs rad and draindown. The End! :LOL:

Of course if you ain't got a draindown tap on any of the downstairs rads that won't help! So try this, attach a length of hose to a 'Washing Machine Tap' (the kind you might find under your sink for plumbing in your washing machine). To do that you'll need to insert a short length (about 100mm) of 15mm copper pipe into the tap. Remove the nut and olive first, place them onto the copper pipe and insert it into the tap and tighten the nut. Now insert the other end of the copper pipe into the hose and fix it in place using a jubilee clip. You now have a 'Draindown Hose'. :)

Now turn off the valves to a downstairs rad (one near the front or back door is better) and then unscrew the valve to one side of the rad and drain the rad into a container/bucket. Once the rad is fully drained you will find that the 'Washing Machine Tap' end of your new 'Draindown Hose' should screw onto the radiator. Once you've attached it, run the hose to a drain outside. Open the other radiator valve and allow water to run for a while. After a short time start opening the air vents (bleed screws) to the rads upstairs. This will allow air into the system and thus allow the system to fully drain. Keep trying the downstairs radiator air vents to see if they are giving water if they aren't you can start opening those bleed screws. Job done.... well, the draining down bit anyway :)

Hope that helps. Happy New Year.

Thanks for that Blasphemous. Nice tip. Happy New Year.

When the system has drained, renew the washer in the drain off cock valve, and also go round shutting any vents that you left open.

When you do the final refill, add a chemical corrosion inhibitor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back