Loss of cold water pressure in the Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've lived in our current home for just over 2 months and we discovered some odd behaviour for the first time this morning with the cold water in the upstairs bathroom. Consequenly, I'm not sure if this is something that's just started happening (most likely I think) or if it's been there since day 1 and we just never noticed it before.

What we discovered was:

When the kitchen tap (downstairs) is fully open, there is no cold water in the bathroom sink, toilet or bath.

We often use the kitchen tap on full throttle - it's not an especially strong or weak flow - pressure seems to be what I'd expect from a kitchen tap.

Upstairs, the cold feed in the bathroom seems (usually) to be a reasonable pressure too. Not particularly violent, but not a dribble either.

Investigating a little further, it seems as though when the dishwasher is on in the kitchen, this has a similar effect in the bathroom too, either reducing or stopping the flow of cold completely.

Any suggestions of how to begin to diagnose this, or suggestions for what might be wrong?

--

..this may be *completely unrelated* (and is of secondary concern) - but anecdotally:

We've also been having trouble with the pumped shower in the bathroom recently, in that with the pump running, there's no hot water at the shower. (This used to work, but packed up recently). Consequently, as a temporary measure, we've taken to showering with the pump off under a pretty weak, but at-least hot shower.

Whilst investigating the lack of cold water in the bathroom this morning, I thought I'd check the shower. Pump on and pump off plenty of cold (I'm presuming the shower's cold feed is from the cold water cistern). What is odd, is that with the pump on (and no cold water pressure otherwise upstairs) - the hot water worked through the pump fine too. Turning off the kitchen tap (cold) downstairs - the shower runs stone cold.

Any suggestions for things I could check myself would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back