Lost in translation????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a warning sign on the outside of an inverter cubicle on a solar farm I worked at. It seems every cubicle by this company (a very well known multi national, not sure if I should name them as they employ me!) in the UK has the same sign. Do you think something was lost in translation??
pvbox1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Nice
Particularly when the wording should possibly be

"Danger of Death - Keep Off (or out)"

Solar farms will usually output to the DNO at 6.6 or 11kv. though we have just had one connected at 33kV
The control figure is the maximum load and the capacity of the local networks.
We have generation sites connected at 132kV in places

The DC in is around 1000V and the outgoing varies depending on the DNO.
1000V DC is obviously 'LV'.
That depends on the earthing arrangements. A +-500V (relative to earth) system would be LV but a system with one end grounded and the other at 1000V relative to earth would be HV (by the BS7671 definition). I'm not sure about floating systems as "nominal voltage relative to earth" would be undefined in that case. I'm not sure if that means you should ignore the earth relative part of the definition or if you should assume the worst.

That depends on the earthing arrangements. A +-500V (relative to earth) system would be LV but a system with one end grounded and the other at 1000V relative to earth would be HV (by the BS7671 definition).
Eh? The BS7671/IEC definition of LV goes up to 1500V DC, doesn't it?
I'm not sure about floating systems as "nominal voltage relative to earth" would be undefined in that case. I'm not sure if that means you should ignore the earth relative part of the definition or if you should assume the worst.
Indeed. The BS7671 definitions really 'fail' when the supply is floating relative to earth!

Kind Regards, John

That depends on the earthing arrangements. A +-500V (relative to earth) system would be LV but a system with one end grounded and the other at 1000V relative to earth would be HV (by the BS7671 definition).
Eh? The BS7671/IEC definition of LV goes up to 1500V DC, doesn't it?
AIUI it's 1500V between conductors but only 900V relative to earth.

Here's a suggested warning notice:

screenshot_461.jpg

It avoids all the problems with ELV/LV/HV terminology and has the added bonus of meaning electricians only need to carry one type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back