Can't find 'approved contractor' on LABC, what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I got a call from a family member who asked me to come and look at possibly putting in a socket or two in his newly acuired home. He has just been offered it from a housing associastion for an exchange.

Anyhow, I popped over and noticed it had just been re-wired and so scoped out for the install cert. I have managed to obtain it, and having scrutinised pretty much all of it, need to decide the next best action.

The cert is with a periodic cert (the one that said it needed the rewire in the first place) and BOTH have not been signed off.
These are DCN5 + DPN4 forms from an approved contractor.
Having read these forms, I would get them done again (as my companies QS I wouldn't sign off something that came back to me like this).

So I thought I would check the company out on the LABC but no luck, although the company has a different name on both froms, same address though. :?:

So I dunno wether to go to the client direct to advise them to get it completed, their office is open tomorrow. Or get straight on the phone to the NICEIC and give them the enrolment no.

I am not happy myself to do work on another companies rewire if it hasn't been properly signed off beforehand, but I may have no choice..

Should I:

Leave it, do my work and make all the limitations very clear

Pop into the original clients offices with the certs for them to persue

Contact the NICEIC as the company (well at least the name(s) they are using) doesn't appear to be on a competent scheme?

:confused:

Sponsored Links
Why contact the NICEIC. Did the electrician claim to be an NICEIC registered contractor?

If they have carried out notifiable work and are not a member of one of the schemes then call the LABC. I had heard that the competentperson website is very useful but it is not a 100% accurate list of all the registered electricians.

is it not possible then to be a member of the NICEIC and not be a member of the DI scheme that they run?
surely it's not worth the cost if you only do industrial..
or does it cost the same to be DI or not DI?

Sponsored Links
If you have the full NICEIC scope, you get the DI as standard anyway.

Well I took the certs to the contractors address but had the door slammed in my face :cry:

So I have had to take it to the original clients office instead and leave it to them.

Do the certificates have the contractors NICEIC membership number on them?

Quick update on this one..

After failing to try to get the companies Mr QS to meet with me on site I have decided to approach the NICEIC with this issue.
I am sick of looking at the cert on my desk. There is something about seeing how people treat testing & inspection like this that just makes me sick :evil:

Initial Periodic - (there never was a page 4)

Full Re-wire carried out -

(Cha-ching with the RCBO's)

Installation Certificate issued -

Would you like us to pick holes in the new installation?

BTW, the original PIR is a complete joke, and I would definatly send a copy to the NICEIC.

Trading Standards might also be interested. It appears to be much the same as telling somebody their whole roof needs replacing because they have a few loose tiles. Then taking the money and not even doing the job right.

Would you like us to pick holes in the new installation?

BTW, the original PIR is a complete joke, and I would definatly send a copy to the NICEIC.

Fire away, if you want me to re-up bigger copies let me know ;)

Response from the NICEIC this morning is that they want all of the information I have on the company.

The big concern is that the company is a housing association service and so they probably pull this off every week.

The periodic and new installation cert had the same enrolment number, but were different company names (same address though).

Both of which can't be found on the search site, even searching the given address comes up with nothing.

I like item 9 on the PIR 'there must be a joint in the loft'

It's strange how the cutout changed it's BS number between certificates, and neither of the inspectors seem to know the kA ratings for these fuses.

They must have got bored with filling in the max permitted Zs coloumn. Maybe they were too busy verifing the phase sequence on a SP installation. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back