DIY Rewire - Liasing with LABC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am currently in the process of buying a house that needs to be rewired. I am a qualified Electrician(NVQ3, HNC, 17th Edition), but from an industrial background, and have never attempted to re-wire a domestic property before!

I have been in contact with my LABC who have said aslong as i have my 17th Edition qualification they are happy for me to carry out the work, with their inspector making a visit before, at first fix and then completion.

They haven't given me much information in regards to what documentation/information they will require at each stage?!

I am also unsure of what the legal outcome is if i am to do my own test and inspection, and the LABC inspector to do the sign off - Who is responsible if there is (God forbid!) a fault that causes damage to the property, as i do not have any sort of insurance that covers me for carrying out this type of work!!

So my question is really - Has anyone attempted to do a rewire whist liasing with LABC and how was the process?

Thanks, Tommy.

Sponsored Links
Yes but before 2008 so not 17th edition.

Once they accepted my qualifications then I never saw them again I did the job hand delivered the installation certificate to the shire hall and the completion certificate arrived in the post.

But it would seem they wanted to use third party inspectors and we (My son and I) did not want to pay some guy to inspect our work when his qualifications were lower than ours and pay for him to do it.

The LABC inspector to begin with said it had to be a third party inspector. My son asked why. We had the meters in a case in front of us so it was clear we had what was required. The inspector asked what qualifications my son had and was told C&G 2391 and 2381 (as it was then) he would not except these and my son said what if my dad does it he has a degree in electrical and electronic engineering at which point he relented and said we could test.

To me the guy had no idea what a C&G2391 was. The job was started by another firm who ran off into the Welsh hills and I entered there name with no signature for designer and part of the installation and endorsed the paperwork saying exactly what we had done and what had been done by the firm who had run off. I fully expected it to be rejected but it was not and the completion certificate arrived in post.

As to who is responsible that was why my son was going to sign he had PLI but I did not. But the LABC do become responsible for site safety so it would seem if something did go wrong then it would be down to them.

However watch a builders for hell TV program and one thinks many times where was the LABC it seems they take the money then wash their hands. We see court cases for baby X against council but not building control.

The insurance was not expensive and I suppose you could take it out for a year. We have talked many times about what will happen if 5 years on it is found you have made a mistake? Would the insurance valid at time of the job pick up the tab?

But in real terms it is unlikely that fire will result which could be proved was due to an error in the re-wire rather than materials used. When a consumer unit goes on fire we tend to blame a loose connection but proving it is something else. I would have thought the house insurance would cover? As to electric shock no insurance can really help. The Emma Shaw case the electrician got fined £1000 and the limit was set on his ability to pay it came out of his pocket not any insurance company.

The whole idea of insurance seems to be flawed. When a car demolished my garden wall my house insurance paid. When I tried to recover the excess I was told since he was given a custodial sentence I could not get the money even though it was not the driver given the custodial sentence but the brother of the boy run down (between my wall and the car) who beat up the driver breaking his arm.

When a house goes on fire and as a result burns down the next house it's the next houses insurance that pays for the next house not the insurance of the house where the fire started.

So the big question is what would the insurance pay for even if you took it out?

Managed to get hold of the actual inspector for my LABC. Is was abit worrying as his knowledge on 'Electrics' seemed limited. He basically said they make a visit before work commences, they come and have a look at first fix and see that the cables aren't anywhere they shouldn't be, then they sign it off once you've done the tests (Testing the circuits yourself mind!) This all completely do-able and 'by the book' and he was happy to accept a 17th edition certificate as proof of competency!

Quite looking forward to starting the work now!

You simply apply via a building regulation application, these can be downloaded on-line. There will be a fee to apply, this varies between regions.
You must submit the form prior to starting work, once accepted you can start work.
I have only worked under this process, 3 times. Not on any of those occasion did a building controls officer visit me or the location of work, prior to me starting, only once did they inspect first fix. On the other occasions was told to crack on with it.
If you can I&T, BC will be more than happy for you to take on that responsibility, as they really don't want to take any of the responsibility of the installation or commission of it. Just want your money!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info! - Building control didn't give me much option, they didn't have anyone to assign to do I&T. They said I could find someone, but may aswell do it myself was their attitude!

So, you are going to need a set of calibrated test equipment so that you can test that your work complies with BS7671 and complete an Electrical Installation Certificate.

Are you Ok with doing that?

So, you are going to need a set of calibrated test equipment so that you can test that your work complies with BS7671 and complete an Electrical Installation Certificate. Are you Ok with doing that?
Indeed. Provided the OP is aware of (or learns) how to use it, and how to complete an EIC, the required kit is, as you know, easy enough to hire.

Kind Regards, John

So, you are going to need a set of calibrated test equipment so that you can test that your work complies with BS7671 and complete an Electrical Installation Certificate.

Are you Ok with doing that?

Yes - I have done it before, and under scrutinisation, albeit a few years ago.

Access to test equipment shouldn't be a problem either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back