Lots of hairline cracks showing up in the ceiling...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I moved into my new house (1930 red brick semi) a month and a bit ago. I had a survey done and asked the surveyer to look at a few cracks in the house. Got the all clear from the surveyor... The house had obviously moved at one point but it was fine now.

Anyway.... The living room had been redecorated when I bought it. A fresh lick of paint and new carpet. As I had the all clear from the surveyor I didn't worry about any problems.

So now, about a month or two on, there a lots of hairline cracks appearing on the ceiling. Only on one half of it (nearest the interior wall) and the are mostly of a uniform rectangular shape with one main one running the width of the room across the middle of the ceiling. A couple of the cracks lead on to the upper parts of the wall.

So am I correct in thinking that this is just a poor plastering job? Or could there be other things going on? I'm just confused because I had nothing from the surveyor about it.

To be honest I feel a bit annoyed at the previous owners. I can't help but feel that they decorated the living room to hide these cracks and now there just coming back through the paint.

Sponsored Links
ric_uk said:
So now, about a month or two on, there a lots of hairline cracks appearing on the ceiling. Only on one half of it (nearest the interior wall) and the are mostly of a uniform rectangular shape with one main one running the width of the room across the middle of the ceiling. A couple of the cracks lead on to the upper parts of the wall.

So am I correct in thinking that this is just a poor plastering job? Or could there be other things going on? I'm just confused because I had nothing from the surveyor about it.

To be honest I feel a bit annoyed at the previous owners. I can't help but feel that they decorated the living room to hide these cracks and now there just coming back through the paint.

Those uniform shapes sound like the plasterboard under the skim has moved, causing the skim to crack and any paint there as well. The plasterboard used are different sizes, mine were 8 x 4. I had this when I started going in and out my loft. I had to scrape the paint off. Re-fix the plasterboard back to the joists and then use filler. When it's dry I sanded it down smooth. It could be that this all you need to do.

Indeed, definately sounds like plasterboard if the cracks are straight and regular. As shown in one of my engineering lectures, if this is what I am thinking then it is most probably nothing to worry about.

Sponsored Links
Different heating and useage patterns on occupancy can alter the internal humidity. and cause shrinkage and expansion to floors/ceilings.

A buyer, and especially an experienced surveyor should always be wary of newly decorated surfaces

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back