Loud bangs in central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody help? When my room reaches its required temperature and the thermostat switches off there is a very loud bang from the system. All rads have been bled and are getting hot and the pump is set to its slowest speed.

Sponsored Links
Can you be any more specific aout the source of the bang? Is your boiler gas? Does the bang come from there/

Thanks for your reply.
The boiler is a glow worm space saver 38 (gas) which is located on the ground floor of my house. The single 'bang' is either coming from the first floor or loft area and sounds like the piping is being hit hard. I haven't been in the house that long but have been told by the old owner that he had a new 'valve' fitted to the system during this summer.

well sure some of the ther learned members will now but I for one am flummoxed, recommend getting someone in to look at it sorry

Sponsored Links
Very odd! I suppose it's some sort of pipe-hammer - possibly there's some air in the pipe which expands as soon as the pump turns off. DOes it get louder if you have the pump turned higher?! Also possible that a cuple of pipes are nearly touching somewhere and whack together. Any long unsupported runs like that in the loft?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back