Loud creaking noise from radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased this radiator about a year ago; it has always made some creaky sounds while heating (I assume it's due to metal expansion and different metal parts rubbing together); while this was acceptable initially, the noise has recently become 10 times louder such that we can hear it while asleep on the other side of the house. I have attached a video. The plastic inserts on the brackets are in place.
What can it be causing it?

Sponsored Links
using your hand place it down at the TRV, do you feel the bang there specifically, could be a valve issue.

A lot of these designer column rads are such a pain in the a$$, so many are poorly made with poor quality materials and a lot just don't work or they don't heat the space properly. A lot click and creak constantly but not so much the bang you can hear.

As @Madrab sounds more like the TRV than the rad, remove the sensor from the TRV and see if it stops the noise

using your hand place it down at the TRV, do you feel the bang there specifically, could be a valve issue.

A lot of these designer column rads are such a pain in the a$$, so many are poorly made with poor quality materials and a lot just don't work or they don't heat the space properly. A lot click and creak constantly but not so much the bang you can hear.
I think it comes from the radiator body; I can also make it do that by applying some pressure on it by hand

The company I bought if from replied

I've listened to the video, it is simply the sound of the metal expanding/ contracting. This isn't a product fault and is common with aluminium radiators as they heat (and expand) and cool (and contract) much quicker than steel products.

The temperature of the system is the cause, you would have to reduce the flow temperature of the system to stop it from happening.

It's not a fault with the radiator. Can also be to do with the pressure of the boiler being too high too.

The temperature is 40° (I turned it down from 70° to see if my system could cope with an air pump), don’t think I can lower it further

Maybe the pressure is a bit higher than what I normally fill the system too, but why would high pressure cause noise?

Sponsored Links
Nope ... lot of rubbish and tosh from the company IMO.

If it is designed to be fitted to a UK central heating system then it should be rated to at least 70Deg and at least 3 bar, if it isn't then it wouldn't be safe to be installed and shouldn't be certified. That would usually be the minimum safety limit that a CH system could potentially run at, ideally it should be rated to 90deg @ 6 bar.

I've fitted many ally column rads and none of them make that noise. Have you checked the specs for the rad, the limits should be referenced

Nope ... lot of rubbish and tosh from the company IMO.

If it is designed to be fitted to a UK central heating system then it should be rated to at least 70Deg and at least 3 bar, if it isn't then it wouldn't be safe to be installed and shouldn't be certified. That would usually be the minimum safety limit that a CH system could potentially run at, ideally it should be rated to 90deg @ 6 bar.

I've fitted many ally column rads and none of them make that noise. Have you checked the specs for the rad, the limits should be referenced
It’s this radiator

OK, for that price then I'd want it swapped out. There is no way under normal operating conditions, that radiator should be making that kind of noise. Even under a system fault condition where it is over-pressurised (~ 3bar), that radiator shouldn't be doing that.

I don't have access to the BS EN 442-2:2014 standards so I'm not sure what testing criteria the radiators need to hit to comply, one of the other pro's may be able to check.

It takes 2 seconds to remove the TRV sensor with no tools so just do it to rule it out

I’ll try as soon as I get home; are you thinking about cavitation?
No, sometimes water flow can cause the valve to jump on the spring/seat, creating a resonant thump in the rad. You would be able to feel it thumping specifically at the valve though. Easiest test, as @ianmcd mentions, is to remove the TRV head off and grip the valve if it still does it.

Does it thump at the valve or is it somewhere on the actual radiator? If it's the latter then it quite simply needs to go back.

Have you checked the boiler pressure? Just for completeness.

Does it thump at the valve or is it somewhere on the actual radiator? If it's the latter then it quite simply needs to go back.

Have you checked the boiler pressure? Just for completeness.

I don’t feel anything at the valve
Boiler pressure is around 1.5bar

This is what I replied to the vendor

Hello,
Thanks for your quick reply.
I don’t think it’s normal to have such loud noises and the cause can’t be the high temperature as it’s already running at 40° flow temperature. The radiator should be designed to work with a standard UK heating system with a deltaT of 50° (so should sustain water temperature of at least 70°) and pressures up to 3bar (currently around 1.5 bar).

Regards

And they replied

This is completely normal on Aluminium radiators.

The sound is caused by the metal expanding during heat up and cool down. Aluminium heats up and cools down much faster than steel.

If you have mixed rads on your system (e.g steel and aluminium), the pump will need to be adjusted.

The temperature of the system is the cause, you would have to reduce the flow temperature of the system to stop it from happening. It's not a fault with the radiator.

Kind Regards

Nope Nope Nope ... You can get clicking with some alloy rads during heat up for sure but not banging like that. Does it stop eventually? It it's not the pump then it's definitely expansion then it's down to you as to whether that's acceptable or not. How long has it been in?

What the pump speed has to do with a mixed metal radiator system and causing that effect? Unless they can give a technical reason why the pump speed would cause that then honestly that's just nonsense, that all smacks of fob off.

What you may need to do is to get a professional in, do a quick survey and write up a quick report stating confirming the system pressure, the fact that the temp should have not have that adverse affect and that pump settings are nothing to do with a radiator making that kind of noise. I would go back to them and state you are not happy and that you want the radiator replaced and if needed will get a professional in to provide an independent report.

Some not all vertical rads have a baffle installed and the flow can only go to that side, that is a possibility that you have the flow and returns mixed up, have never heard them making that noise though, usually just takes ages to heat up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back