loud noise from exhaust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My exhaust seems to be much louder at the moment. I have just had the breaks done and the mechanic said he thought it was louder also, but the exhaust is ok. When i pushed him on it, he said it might be the baffler.

Anyway i am not sure what to do as my breaks still squeak (thats why i went in to get them checked out). I thought they just needed a clean, but the rear cylinders were leaking and new shoes were needed. So i had all that changed, but still have the squeaks.

So got this issue. What would people do here ?

Then i have this noisy exhaust problem. any ideas on that ?

The vehicle is a peugeot partner van, 2004

Sponsored Links
Does the squeak stop if you gently press the brake pedal, Trevor? If so, it's the front pads that need a clean.
Re the exhaust, maybe the baffles have collapsed on the rear silencer but there is also a one stage catalytic converter mid ships. The exhausts don't last very long but I assume they haven't actually parted company!
John :)

Yes the squeak stops if i press the pedal. Ok so it is the front ones then !! The squeaking isn't as bad so i assume the rear brakes are a bit better after the service.

Can the baffles on the rear be changed easily. I have the haynes manual and am tempted to try it myself. The garage has said £40 to change the baffle. They are ok on price.

The front pads need to be removed from the caliper and given a thorough wire brushing to get rid of the crap. Check at the same time that the pads aren't delaminating from the steel back plate.
You may need new discs though - they aren't expensive.
The rear silencer has just the one clamp and it's held up by two or three rubber hangers.....easy enough to do but pretty heavy. If that one has had it, the rest of the system could well be moth eaten too!

Sponsored Links
Sorry Trevor, I meant to say......shove the palm of your hand against the tailpipe for a couple of seconds.
If the exhaust is blowing you'll hear the hiss straight away.
If there's no blowing, I'd just forget about it.

Back