Loud running water noise in gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello i bought a new build property in August and keep on having problems with the guttering above my bedroom window. When it rains(mainly heavy) we hear a running water noise as if water is running through the gutter or even the down pipe. No signs of water overflowing or running down brickwork. I have contacted the site manager who constantly says hes had somebody look at it and gutter isnt blocked and seems ok! The water noise is like Chinese water torture and can only be drowned out by earplugs! Earplugs cant always be used as we have a young child! Anybody have any ideas and i will post what pictures I can!

Sponsored Links
Well there is deffo something up with the lower dry verge but I think he could be on about a water resonating sound coming up the pipe?

I'd just get up there when it next rains and have a looksee, though if he doesn't have a ladder that could be an issue.

Sponsored Links
I'd just get up there when it next rains and have a looksee, though if he doesn't have a ladder that could be an issue.

Or just stick his head out the window. What if the outlet is just blocked and it's pouring onto the satellite dish and that's what's making the noise?

It that a trick of the light or is the brickwork stepped out a bit weird?

if you can borrow a pair of binoculars (or sometimes you can buy a pair in a charity shop or ebay for £5-10) have a look outside during rain for any overspill or bubbling. Carry an umbrella. Also look at the foot of the downpipe to confirm it is flowing out freely and there is no blockage.

Protect the eye end of the bins from the rain or it may get inside and damage them.

I mainly hear it overnight so getting up to see what the problem is becomes difficult in the early hours!
I know that rain water is supposed to run along gutters but not that loud, i previously lived in a 100yr old terraced house that wasn't that loud!
The brickwork that you mention is a pattern its on all houses. If its the brickwork next to window!
I have no ladders but can get some of family member. I haven't seen water overflowing as of yet. We are covered for two years for house issues but the site agents aren't in a rush to fix issues and couldn't see any issues when they apparently went to look!!

have you got any water tanks in the house? Or a hot-water cylinder? What colour?

Well go up a ladder during the day or do you not hear the noise in the daylight then?

And when you're up there take some pics as frankly the ones you posted aren't very clear/light.

Yeah mainly hear it at night as only hear it in heavy rain in the bedroom. I will try and get up there this weekend!
Would hope the site manager pulls his finger out and actually sends a roofer/gutter fitter up rather than the plumber he recently sent up!

Proper plumbers used to fit rainwater goods :eek:

Either get some cast iron gutter (heavier less acoustics) fitted or put a diffuser in the swan neck to stifle the noise. Tying a rag would do but this is a double edged sword. It will make the swan neck easier to block.

... put a diffuser in ...

Interesting ... what's a diffuser noseall ?

Can't see what the spacing of the gutter brackets is. The greater the distance apart, the more resonance you'll get. Particularly if they're cheap thin plastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back