Loud Toilet Flushing - New Combi Boiler Installed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
50125BC6-FBB1-4D9A-A3C0-C57821BE2DF6.jpeg
79656D90-EEAC-4C49-9389-BDEAD07499B0.jpeg
F2AC5C62-A005-4CFC-A06C-00CA46685008.jpeg
Hi there

Just had my old conventional boiler replaced with a combi system. The hot water and water tanks all removed.

Now that the cold feed is running directly from the mains - it seems the flow is now immense. So much so that one of my toilet (old type) makes a really loud noise when flushing.

I heard that because of my old system works with low pressure (gravity fed) and now that the cold water is coming directly from the mains, the flush system is now requiring a high pressure type.

does anybody know which one I need to buy that would be compatible with my toilet? Picture is attached - feed is coming from the bottom with a lever type flush.

Sponsored Links
You could try turning the isolator a little more horizontal, the flow can be reduced to what it was before. It also helps if you have water hammer from a washing machine.

you just change a small part, your installer should have done it when fitting the new boiler , get them back and tell them you wont be paying for it, as it is part of the job

Sponsored Links
If it’s making a noise whilst refilling, it could be coincidence and will probably just need the washer inside changing - which would be separate from the combi install. It could be the orifice, which could need changing, which is what Ian will be referring to. I take it the toilet wasn’t mains fed previously?

Sorry to be more exact, the noise isn’t coming from the toilet per se, more like the cold water pipe running to it, it’s like the flow is immense. It’s not the pipe banging noise you usually associate with pipe sounds.

I believe the toilet was fed from water from the stored water tank. Noise previous came from there when toilet was flushed but now that those tanks are removed, flushing comes from the mains feed.

you just change a small part, your installer should have done it when fitting the new boiler , get them back and tell them you wont be paying for it, as it is part of the job

Boiler was installed by British Gas - I don’t think they are responsible for “repairing” this - install boiler and make sure pipes are running for hot and cold - job done.

It’s likely the low pressure/higher pressure difference between gravity fed and mains fed that sounds the most feasible reason - just want to know if this so and which product do I need to buy to convert my toilet to the high pressure valve.

It does sound more like what Ian stated, about the orifice needing changing from low pressure to high pressure. This should be done by any installer converting from gravity fed to mains - something that should also be discussed initially.

Boiler was installed by British Gas - I don’t think they are responsible for “repairing” this - install boiler and make sure pipes are running for hot and cold - job done.

It’s likely the low pressure/higher pressure difference between gravity fed and mains fed that sounds the most feasible reason - just want to know if this so and which product do I need to buy to convert my toilet to the high pressure valve.
of course they are responsible for it, they changed the pressure not you, they should do it correctly

NO tell them you want the jo done correctly, dont reach out to them, if it was a one man band that done it you would soon complain, they are no different , just a lot more expensive

For the premium price you pay BG over a local independent, you should be expecting a premium service including doing a full low pressure to high pressure conversion correctly.

You could try turning the isolator a little more horizontal, the flow can be reduced to what it was before. It also helps if you have water hammer from a washing machine.

Won't change the pressure and more likely to sound even more like a missile flying past.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back