Plumber installed our toilet to the pump??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

My plumber installed a new toilet and cistern.
We were unable to flush the toilet properly because we are using a gravity fed system and the water was unable to go into the cistern.
He has now connected the toilet pipe to the pump so when we flush, the pump comes on.
Is this correct?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Was the plumber Polish?

Even a gravity water supply should fill a toilet cistern given time BUT it has to have the float valve adjusted/specified for low pressure.

All these fancy new vertical float valves are probably NOT convertible to LP supplies! In Europe where they are made and used they dont use water supply tanks as some people still do in the UK.

Tony

Is this correct?

So long as it's not filling up the cistern with hot water (!!), may be the only effective option short of changing the cistern valve for a low-pressure type (or, if possible, adjusting it for low-pressure operation with a bigger 'orifice').

It's a pity options were not discussed before work commenced. OK - having the pump fire off every time the WC is flushed is a nuisance but you (presumably) never discussed the matter. You really can't blame the plumber - he delivered what you asked for: a flushing toilet.

Sponsored Links
You really can't blame the plumber - he delivered what you asked for: a flushing toilet.

At first he connected it and it would not fill. Thats why I asked if he was Polish. Whatever he was he had a pretty low understanding of simple plumbing!

Connecting it to the pump has made it work but it might be possible to convery it to fill from the gravity system.

Tony

hi chaps.

Thanks for your advice so far.

yes he was polish.

He did a complete fit of 2 bathrooms , tiling plumbing etc etc etc.

The toilets have the cistern behind the wall.

Prior to having these new cisterns the toilets flushed ok.
Once they had been changed they didnt flush at all.

He connected it to the same pump we use for one of the showers.

I asked the people at the bath store and they heard nothing of it.

They told me to ensure the builder had cut off the excess tube that connects from behind the flush handle and to the actual flush inside the cistern.
(The part that is only for an air vacuum) The builder said he did.

Then, when he connected it to the pump it worked fine, although he did cut off about 1 metre of this pipe too! therefore the vacuum would be stronger anyway..

I asked the people at the bath store and they heard nothing of it.
They know less than the average Polish plumber by miles!

I still don't know what your problem is:

1) Does the cistern fill?
2) Does the flush mechanism make water rush into the pan?
3) DOes that clear the products in the pan?

1)Yes
2)No
3)Yes

Basically the toilet works as it should do.
Although surely its not the "correct" way to make a toilet flush?
Im sure it uses up excess electricity?

Thanks!

1)Yes
2)No
3)Yes

Basically the toilet works as it should do.
Although surely its not the "correct" way to make a toilet flush?
Im sure it uses up excess electricity?

Thanks!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

So how cheap was the plumber? offset this difference against your increased electricity consumption and extra wear and tear on the pump :rolleyes:

SO the pump has nothing to do with the problem.

Haul the plumber back, ot work out for yourself how the cistern is supposed to flush. It ain't all that hard!

So Bathstore+Polish Plumber = Grief.............or BS+P(p)= :cry:

SO the pump has nothing to do with the problem.

Haul the plumber back, ot work out for yourself how the cistern is supposed to flush. It ain't all that hard!

basically, what i am trying to say is:

1) Is it normal for a toilet flush not to work without a pump if you have a gravity fed system?
2) is he just trying to fob me off by using the pump trick rather than fixing the cause? IE the easy way out?

thanks again gent.s

i take it your cold water tanks are in the loft and you have a hot water cylinder somewhere . is the cylinder and the toilet on the same level ?
if this is the case then your toilet should be able to run from the gravity supply or even just from mains

cant he pipe it from the cold water tap on the basin ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back