poor flushing toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The air button on our toilet broke so we got the plumbers in to fix it. The toilet used to flush fine, a good strong flush of water that washed everything away but since the new fitting the flush is weak - a gentle but longer flow of water that doesnt push everything out the bowl.

I got the plumbers back and they couldnt work out why this was happening and said something about modern toilets not being as good as the old ones... Im not happy with that excuse.

Thing is that it flushed fine before and all that has changed is the button and I assume the mechanism that links to the button within the cistern. The cistern etc is the same one.

Im going to call them back again but Id like to be forearmed with a reason why this is happening and what they should do to fix it. Any ideas?

ps The button looks the same as the ones on our other toilets that flush fine but Im guessing the mechanism is different and thats the problem???

Sponsored Links
Possibly the button has a fine chain linked to a flap, and the chain is too slack so that the flap doesn't open fully.

There may be a fixable problem, but the plumber is right in some ways, it's all about saving water now, so the flushes can be a little poorer. What about getting the same make of syphon as the old one you had? Or fit a high level cistern that will definately wash it away.

What exactly did they change? Have you tried changing the float valve height to fill the cistern more fully?

Sponsored Links
I agree with swidders! Just been repairing my own (new diaphragm in valve) and if filled to the water line shown it is difficult to get the syphon started and the amount of water used is minimal.
So the with the water level higher it overcomes both problems. I have it about 3/4 in higher than indicated line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back