louvre vertical blinds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody know if those vertical blinds can be trimmed down.

The long rectangular box section bracket that is??

The actual cutting down looks easy enough but am unsure if the additional 'slack' in the rope will allow the blinds to work?

the reason being, the blind is in a window reveal and I want to tile the entire reveal but the bracket is almost hard up to the plastered walls of the reveal.

thanks

Sponsored Links
the blinds that i tensd to buy have the slats horizontal can be cut down to length. the slats are plastic and by clamping a few together can be cut with a jig saw. u can't get a really straight cut line unless u mark and cut each individual blind.

the bottom bar is aluminium and has plastic caps over the ends. by taking the caps off the ends it can then be trimmed with a jig saw.

i've not trimmed a blind with vertical slats but i feel the same must be true. one end has the turn mechanism and would leave this alone and trim the other. i don't think u will get any slack as the rope will just hang lower. u will need to adjust the end stop though which is held with a grub screw. u can only buy the vertical slats in certain sizes so adjustment must be possible.

simple answer YES. once a fitter we had to cut the 'width' of the rail every time the boss miss measured. The slack will sort out too.

In the end of the rail is a plastic end, there is a spring washer or chrome cap, remove this with a screwdriver. The end cap then slips off. Try and work on a bench or . the floor. this cap has cord comin out and will slip off the end of the central star shaped bar. All of the plastic vane supports will also slide out. Keep them together and upright. Cut the amount you need off the rail but do not cut the central star bar yet. (A small hacksaw will do). Once the required bit is cut off, slide the hangers back in and replace the end cap so that the star bar protrudes. Chech that the far end is all in place too. Replace the spring washer over the longer star bar then cut that last. If you follow the cords to the first (or middle) vane hanger, one of the cords will go straight through to the opposite end of the blind rail. The other will be either tied off in a knot, or secured with a grub screw. This one can be shortened to take up the slack in the weighted tensioner but do it once the rail is fitted to the window as the length should reach the window cill but not touch it. If its a knot then pull out some slack (long nose plyers help) before you refit the blind cos working upside down is hard.......... take ur time and measure twice before you cut remembering that you need room for the end cap.... good luck

Sponsored Links
Trimming down vertical louver blinds sounds like a challenge. I'd be just terrified to cut them too short, and then be stuck with a terrible mess.

Anyway, I hope your project turns out to be lovely, beatts. Best of luck! If you get a chance, stop by to let us know how it turns out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back