Roller Blinds - How to fix brackets in corners ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have moved into a new house and we want to fix roller blinds to all the windows and doors, The windows have wooden frames and I am planning to fix the blinds directly to the frames as I think that will look neater and I an place them more accurately. I asked Velfac if it was OK to fix to the frame and the official answer seems to be no but reading between the lines it should be fine.

The problem is that my drill is far to big to allow me to drill the guide holes for the screws which all need to be about 1.5cm from the edge and top of the frames. I really hate bodging things and I don't want to drill the holes at an angle I would like them to be straight and true.

This must be a very common problem but my searches have not found a solution, the standard solution seems to be to put the screws in at an angle which I don't want to do. Is there a technique to do this properly and neatly?

Incidentally if I put the brackets into recess edge or top I will have a similar problem along with a additional problem of getting a good hold on the plasterboard and skim plaster.

Sponsored Links
In the good old days before battery drills, we used to use a bradawl to make a pilot hole. The indentation will get your screws started, so wind them in then back out again - replacing the screw if the head gets mangled.
John :)

In the good old days before battery drills, we used to use a bradawl to make a pilot hole. The indentation will get your screws started, so wind them in then back out again - replacing the screw if the head gets mangled.
John :)

Thanks John, I am old enough to remember the good old days :) and I often use a bradawl which my dad gave me years ago, trouble is that due to the corner position I cant get it close enough to make a straight hole, I don't want to split the frames so I really want a decent guide hole before I screw into the frames.

Funny how these old tools get forgotten, I was with a friend recently and he had to screw one screw into a piece of softwood, out came his electric screwdriver, which had a flat battery so he put it on charge and said he would have to do the screw later. I suggested a normal screwdriver might be able to manage !!

when you say wooden frames do you mean fully wooden window with wooden openings and wooden frame or metal/plastic windows in a wooden surround

Sponsored Links
is there enough room to attach the brackets with screws not to close to the edge[around 8mm]
will the window still function fully without touching the fixings or blind

is there enough room to attach the brackets with screws not to close to the edge[around 8mm]
will the window still function fully without touching the fixings or blind

Yes the windows are the other side fo the wooden frams and all the openings move away from the frames.

not sure why they are worried about fitting them to the wood its the normal thing to do

perhaps they misunderstood
or they are covering there backs in case you do it wrong and try and sue them :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back