Fitting Blinds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to fix blinds to the inside recess of my kitchen windows and need a little advice. As one of my windows was too wide for one roller blind, I am having to fit 2 and therefore attach them from the top as opposed to the sides.
New to DIY, I went out and bought myself a hammer drill and used a 6 masonry bit. However the angle was very tight, the drill was much noisier and dustier than I expected, and there is a strong possibility that I closed my eyes momentarily!!!! (I KNOW YOU DONT HAVE TO SAY A WORD!) In my defence I did actually have to drill into the concrete lintel and was tough going! Suffice to say that the corresponding raw plug went in a little too easily and am now a little wary about drilling any more holes!
My windows are UPVC, am now considering whether I should try and attach them onto the frames. Has anyone else done this and should I attach the brackets using special screws, (self-tapping???) or should I paint and fix blocks of wood using 'Hard as Na*ls' or similar product and then screw the brackets onto those? Any help gratefully received but basic language please as i am just a beginner! Thanks :eek:

Sponsored Links
safty first diy 2nd why were you not wearing goggles / glasses.

its your call.

If the frame is not 100% flat (probably) it may be harder to fix your binds and get them even.

so as you suggest a piece of timber cut to size and secured with no more nails (you can say that on these forums) then fix the blinds to the timber may be easier.

If you do wish to fix timber first, make life easier, get diy shed to cut it to size for you, then you can paint it.

Fix blinds to timber, then remove blinds from timber, this way when the timber is in its final place you havent got to juggle making the screws fit (the holes will be there since you made them while the timber was on the floor)

thats just my opinion, others may disagree

Thanks Breezer,
I can offer no defence on my lack of using safety equipment, hands up and promise to always use them in future :rolleyes:
Sorry to be basic but do I need to screw the blocks up as well as the Hard as Nails and which type of screws? Or is it good enough to just support them with tape until the Hard as Nails goes off? Also any idea what depth of blocks I should use with what length of screws?
All these questions, so little knowledge, but keen to learn!
Fizz

the screws should not be longer than the timber you are going to fix. choice of timber is up to you, as to what will look right, and what will be too big /small you have to decide.

no more nails may need some masking tape to help support while it dries. (i never use it)

Sponsored Links
Appears that blinds can't be attached to top of recess, as now numerous holes drilled by myself and numerous friends have confirmed! However on a positive note, my filling and rubbing down skills are first rate!
The idea of the wooden blocks being attached using Hard As Nails and then attaching brackets onto those, has been discounted, as Unibond say the blocks would be unlikely to hold the blinds for long. Apparently the weight has to be dispersed over a larger area!
So NOW WHAT DO I DO????? Can I screw into UPVC windows? Has anyone ever done this? Do I need to use a particular type of screw?
Am starting to feel defeated in my new life as a DIYer, someone please help before my new shiny hammer drill goes out the window from the 2nd floor!
Alternatively, if anyone wants to come and drill 12 tiny little, easier than they look, holes, they would be richly rewarded with my Hammer Drill, unopened new tools and that stupid DIY book that doesn't have any of the answers I am looking for! :mad:

What is the condition of the tip on the masonary drill bit ? is it knackered or burnt out etc ?

Masonry drill bit still fine, was the first time being used, just cant get it into the concrete lintel! Think they make harder concrete down here in London! :LOL:

sorry to here you cant use "no more nails" it holds up walls (all be it plaster board, but it does hold them up)

you can screw inot upv but its not really a good idea since you may:

a) drill in too far (and out the other side)
b) hit the glass
c) want to change your mind later
d) invalidate any waranty

i would still try no more nails or similar. (you seem to have nothing to loose, but if you do, make sure both surfaces are clean, and only a thin layer of "glue" used and leave at least 24 hours to cure.

then see if you can pull it off the wall, if you can dont put blinds on it

Thanks Breezer, I really didnt want to drill into the UPVC either but didnt think I was left with any choice. It looked like it was either that, or my new neighbours can continue to see EXACTLY how bad I look in the mornings!
Really unsure now, may move onto another job first and come back to this one, just HATE giving in! :evil:

Fizz said:
Masonry drill bit still fine, was the first time being used, just cant get it into the concrete lintel! Think they make harder concrete down here in London! :LOL:
Are you sure you're not hitting the RSJ metal beam or the metal rod inside the concrete lintel ?

Not totally sure Breezer, the first two did go into the concrete, eventually, but needed such force. Unfortunately as I am only little I had to put my whole weight in hence the slightly enlarged holes!!! Back to the shops, bigger raw plugs, I then had the 'stuck' raw plug scenario!
It was about that time that I decided to move slightly further in and let a friend drill new holes but not only couldn't they get into the lintel they also made a real mess, hence the filling scenario!!!
Phew, this DIY business is wearing me out, but am NOT giving up!!!

Hi ... I have an interest in this subject. We've just had lovely Rehau sash windows fitted in our front bay window. I am now having a dilemma how to fix back the John Lewis wooden blinds we had up before in the old wood bay. They will only fit if we drill holes into the UPVC, but I am reluctant to do this, as it would disfigure the windows permanently. Now I see someone here suggests it could damage our warranty as well. (I'll check into that.)

Have I understood correctly Fizz that you are contemplating attaching wood blocks using No More Nails to the UPVC? Would this be better than drilling holes? (Could the wood be got off again at a later stage without damaging the UPVC? This seems unlikely.)

Hi,
I was indeed considering using Hard as Nails to fix small blocks of wood to my upvc frames but unfortunately Unibond didnt feel the weight would be evenly distributed enough. I felt that the wood could be removed at a later stage using a nice sharp chisel without damaging the upvc too much and would have been preferable to drilling which I am almost positive would invalidate any guarantee! I am also reluctant to stick a whole length of wood to the upvc!!!
I am at this moment surrounded by blinds, which are now past the date of return, but am trying very hard to see the funny side. What else can one do?!

Can you not fix it to the ceiling, having said that I don't know the layout of your window. If you can give us a photo, maybe we'll be able to help you further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back