Fitting Blinds

Thanks Masona but has to go in the recess due to the position of the sink, which has been positioned right to the back of the worktop and can't have the blinds overhanging that!
STILL not giving up!

Sponsored Links
Personally I don't think no nails is the best building adhesive for this type of work.

I always use the solvent based gripfill and find it much better, however being brown in colour you have to be very careful not to use to much.

Just curious but what difference does Masona's suggestion make to the sink?

Thanks Dave and Julie, do you think 'Gripfill' might do it???
Masona suggested the ceiling and I was trying to use the underside of the recess when drilling, as window too wide for just one blind. Unfortunately the ceiling would be too far out as by the time the brackets are on it would overhang my sink too much!

david and julie said:
Just curious but what difference does Masona's suggestion make to the sink?
As the sink is right at the back of the wall maybe the blind will hit the kitchen taps ???

Fizz, if you can do a photo, I'm not giving up either :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks Masona, I like a Forum Friend that 'doesnt give up either' too!
And yes I think it would definitely hit the taps if outside the recess!
Somedays feel like moving HOUSE!!! But today I am determined to stay and fight! :LOL:

Oh and Digital Camera is another thing I have still to master!! Can take great pictures and view them on lovely little screen, but have as yet, not worked out how to get them onto my computer!
But that is for another day, lets start with the blinds as have now dropped them twice and trodden on them at least 6 times!

Out of interest how long is the window ? But to come back to the point, you have to be able to fix a secure fixing on the lintel. It may be that the drill / bits that you are using are not man enough. I had a similar problem a few years back, solved by using cobalt bits in an SDS plus hammer drill (they get through pratically anything, apart from flint(!)) I'd persevere with the top attachment method, you just need to get a good anchor in there.

For my money, Gripfill / No more nails won't provide a satisfactory solution in this case.

Good Luck !!"

Thanks Eddie M, but think it is not so much the bits/drill not Man enough but more that I am not Woman enough!! :eek:
Seriously though, perhaps I should think about hiring a heavier duty drill, only bought my one a few weeks ago and was the first time I had actually used it and not particularly expensive. In fact the first time I have EVER used a drill! :oops:
236cm (93") is the width of the blind so as you can see impossible for a single blind.

Fizz said:
Oh and Digital Camera is another thing I have still to master!! Can take great pictures and view them on lovely little screen, but have as yet, not worked out how to get them onto my computer!
Can someone help you with the digital camera ? You could ask any 5 yrs old child to do it for you :oops: :LOL:

Lets just say that I am doing something that Men rarely do, and always regret Masona, I am READING the manual first! :evil:

PLUS, this lovely little digital camera is designed by Porsche, I may well have tinkered with a 'Fiesta' but you dont do that with a Porsche! :LOL:

Fizz said:
Thanks Eddie M, but think it is not so much the bits/drill not Man enough but more that I am not Woman enough!! :eek:
Seriously though, perhaps I should think about hiring a heavier duty drill, only bought my one a few weeks ago and was the first time I had actually used it and not particularly expensive. In fact the first time I have EVER used a drill! :oops:
236cm (93") is the width of the blind so as you can see impossible for a single blind.

Nah!, an SDS plus with good bits will be a lot less effort than a "cheap" drill. Don't forget it's the machine that does the work, not you!! You can get a cheap SDS plus drill for about £30 and good bits for about £15. BTW, you can get 3m plus venetian blinds, although this is probably no use to you. The trouble with roller blinds is that over a certian size, they tend to sag. Mind you, very long roller blinds even if ceiling mounted are going to sag a bit.

See here :-

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/home.jsp

and here

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=10331&ts=18659

Sorry, one last point, throw away the screws that came with the blind, they'll be rubbish. Use some decent stainless steel ones. They really don't cost much at all.

Wow, what a good site, not only do you give good advice but you also find sites for the tools I need too!
Will try that Eddie M :D

Hello All,

I too have this problem! Lovely Roman blinds, neighbours that are using our house as their entertainment and not knowing what to do!!

We have just brought our house because it had double glazing....it is turning out to be a curse!!

HELLP>>>!

:cry:

Just follow what was written above. The key is to get a good anchor, if that's from adhesive fine, if not a good drill / bits / screws any you're away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back