Venetian blind into window recess - metal lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im having a nightmare! I need to fit a venetian blind into the window. As its a large window I need to fix the brackets into the top surface as there is also a middle support bracket. 1cm into the plaster you hit a metal lintle. Ive read to use metal drill bits - i tried but they hardly touched it - possibly not good quality. I have no idea of a lintles construction - How thick is the metal? When i get through it whats on the other side? What fittings should I use? The blind came with screws and wall plugs. Ive no idea what size bit/plug to use - i was trying a 5.5mm drill bit. My colleague leant me a SDS plus drill - but they have masonry bits so I didnt try it - and the head of the drill was massive making it harder to get the holes up to the edges of the window. Can anyone help please? :(

Sponsored Links
A good quality drill bit should get through it.
You need a self tapping screw to secure it.
Whats behind the steel doesnt matter.

Hi - Thanks for the prompt reply! Im not sure what size bit and screw to use? E.g. if i use a 5.5mm HSS drill bit should i buy no 6, 8 or 10 self tapping screws? I tried to locate a table to show you the relationship between bit size, wall plug size and screw size.
M.

Sponsored Links
You look at the screw size, then look at what you are drilling into, ie thin or thick and is in inches.
So
Thin = 3.45mm drill
Thick = 3.57mm drill
Its better to drill to small, if the screw is difficult toscrew in, use the next drill size or you could break the screw.
Happy drilling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back