Fitting blinds face-fix or reveal-fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a bunch of blinds, I can't decide which brackets to use.

I initially wanted to go reveal-fix (top of window) because I don't want face-fix brackets in the upvc frame.

However, the reveal-fix brackets are really flimsy, like these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233947958035

These tend to come crashing down a lot while the face-fix have multiple screw holes plus a screw holding the blind in.

I can't seem to find any other type of brackets - what has everyone else done?

If I end up fixing into the upvc frame, what are the best screws / length to use?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Those top fix brackets are stop on, I fit loads of blinds with those. What do you mean, coming crashing down? Do you mean the blind is coming out of the brackets or the brackets pulling out of the plaster?

I always try to avoid fixing to PVC windows and doors, ideally, INTU or Perfect fit for those.

Last edited:
Those top fix brackets are stop on, I fit loads of blinds with those. What do you mean, coming crashing down? Do you mean the blind is coming out of the brackets or the brackets pulling out of the plaster?

The brackets tend to pull out of the wall over time because there is only one fixing point, and when you use the wand to retract the blinds it acts as a lever producing lots of force. I've never had one fall down on me but I've heard others complain, I am always very careful opening/closing these types of blinds.

I guess I could cut the end off the face-fix bracket and then drill holes in it to use as a top fix bracket.

Sponsored Links
Don’t vertical blinds have a cord to open?

You can either get them with cords or wand (y)

The brackets work fine, we have all of our blinds fixed with those brackets. Reveal fixing is better, so the blind don't tangle on window hardware.

Do you know what your type of lintel is? I think maybe I should make a test hole to try and work out what I am dealing with:

Do you know what your type of lintel is? I think maybe I should make a test hole to try and work out what I am dealing with:

Mine are not fixed to the lintel. The UPVC windows butt up against wooden window liners (name?) around each window and I fixed the bracket those.

The brackets tend to pull out of the wall over time because there is only one fixing point, and when you use the wand to retract the blinds it acts as a lever producing lots of force. I've never had one fall down on me but I've heard others complain, I am always very careful opening/closing these types of blinds.

I guess I could cut the end off the face-fix bracket and then drill holes in it to use as a top fix bracket.

They're pulling out because they're not fixed in correctly.

If the lintel is steel, use a 3mm drill bit and a no.4.5 screw will self tap straight in. I use colbalt drill bits.

If it's block/concrete, use Fischer Duopower wall plugs (smaller ones).

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-duopower-wall-plugs-6-x-30mm-100-pack/1030p

Drill a 6mm hole, don't use a screw shorter than 70mm and hammer the screw so the plug goes solid into the hole. I use no.4.5 screws, some blinds often don't like no.5 screws as the head can prevent blinds clipping into the bracket. Roman blinds are annoying for that.

Last edited:
Well I drilled up where the first bracket should go with a 3mm masonary drill bit, got about 20mm in then it stopped.

I couldn't tell what was beyond that so went in with metal drill bit with slow speed, the bit went through with not much pressure, at 50mm I stopped.

The drill bit is 60mm long and if I push it in by hand I get some resistance but I can push it further. It feels like it's pushing in something quite soft, maybe insulation? Doesn't feel like it would be capable of holding anything weighty at all.

Drill a 6mm hole, don't use a screw shorter than 70mm and hammer the screw so the plug goes solid into the hole. I use no.4.5 screws, some blinds often don't like no.5 screws as the head can prevent blinds clipping into the bracket. Roman blinds are annoying for that.

Do you mean I should screw the screw into the plug then hammer in? Surely this will weaken it as the plug is already expanded before it goes into the wall?

Do you mean I should screw the screw into the plug then hammer in? Surely this will weaken it as the plug is already expanded before it goes into the wall?

Just tighten the screw into the plug, no more than enough to hold onto the plug/ not enough to cause it to expand.

Just tighten the screw into the plug, no more than enough to hold onto the plug/ not enough to cause it to expand.

Ok thanks - What about screw length? 70mm screw (what Bonni said) for a 30mm plug seems way too long?

Ok thanks - What about screw length? 70mm screw (what Bonni said) for a 30mm plug seems way too long?

The length needed will depend entirely on how deep in you need to go to get to something solid enough to fix too. I would want it screwing into something solid for 25 to 30mm, depending upon the weight it needs to support and the material you are fixing to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back