Low-cost low fence ideas?

D

Deleted2797112

For the first time, I've got space to have a cutting patch in my new garden to produce year-round flowers for cutting. I've adapted a Sarah Raven plan to suit the area I have. The beds need low fencing around them (about 400mm high) to stop the plants flopping onto the narrow paths. Sarah Raven uses willow hurdles - I wish! I need about 30m of something that will just contain the edges, as cheap as possible or, even better scavenged for free. I'm not all that fussed about how it looks and don't mind having a bash at making something. The only vaguely affordable thing I've found so far it the green plastic covered hoop top wire border fence, that's coming in close to £100. Any other ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Pallets cut to fit and painted to dull the look?

bamboo canes. shove shorter lengths in as the uprights, then longer ones horizontal at the desired height. lash them together with twine. even at the sheds shouldn't cost more than a tenner.

bamboo canes. shove shorter lengths in as the uprights, then longer ones horizontal at the desired height. lash them together with twine. even at the sheds shouldn't cost more than a tenner.

Genius - thank you! I think I was over-thinking it. I've probably already got enough 8ft canes and galvanised wire from when I had my allotment. Sorted!

And thanks Mursal for the pallet suggestion. I've used them before to build a 3 bin compost system. I found the size and weight of them quite difficult to handle being a little old lady and I'm not sure I could manage to cut them or dismantle them. I did have a look round for reclaimed pallet timber but couldn't find any in my area. Thanks anyway though.

Sponsored Links
I'll go with bamboo fencing. It's the most affordable you could buy in the market; you could even get them near a forest. I actually saw an awesome design and concept fence made of bamboo.

I'll go with bamboo fencing. It's the most affordable you could buy in the market; you could even get them near a forest. I actually saw an awesome design and concept fence made of bamboo.

We don't generally have bamboo forests in the UK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back