Fence ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our garden fence is getting a bit past it so looking at options and wondered if anybody had any bright ideas :idea:. This is what we currently have
fence.jpg

10x 6ft x 4ft (mostly) tall with 1ft concrete gravel boards so about 5ft high all along (and it slopes downward). Ideally I'd like the height to come down a foot, to give a better view over the top (we live up a hill with a very nice view of the hills over the valley, but there are houses/rooftops behind the bottom half of the fence), but that would leave the posts a foot higher! Is there a good solution to that? The posts are really solid and not something I fancy removing.

We're also wondering about more of an open style - the garden is directly south facing so the bit of ground this side of the gravel boards doesn't really get sun and things wont grow so well if we decide to make a border. my other half is getting a quote to replace the whole lot with metal fencing but my feeling (adding in the removal of all those very solid posts) is that is going to be too open and be way too expensive :D My thinking is tending towards more open panels like trellis panels or single sided pailing fence - staining the concrete the same colour as the wood. (or maybe even a more solid feather edge panel but with scalloped top give it more of an open feel, sod the plants :D)

The latest thought thrown into the mix is to replacing the panels with steel wire to make a wire balustrade type affair - can they be run through concrete posts? I still think the posts would be too high though :unsure:

What would you do?? :idea::idea::idea:

Sponsored Links
maybe trellis panel fencing if you want it more open

13503.jpg

I suppose you could cut a bit off the fence posts but it would be very awkward -I wouldnt fancy it -a grinder with a diamond disc would cut through it

If you like steel fences but would like a little more security......
200110150124-us-mexico-border-wall-file-exlarge-169.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just go with shorter panels and a trellis panel on top.

https://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/fence-top-trellis

You can choose plain panels and large or small patterns in the trellis
Mine is arched so it goes up in the centre of the panel, or you can go the other way so that the posts are higher, the centre lower. Ideally you want some privacy?

Ideally you want some privacy?
to some extent yes, however our garden is above the houses on the other side and even then only really one house with no windows at the back(!?) so there isn't a great issue with being overlooked - other than the "feel" of it being open. I guess people on the hill several hundred metres away could see us with binoculars but its not a big problem. I feel like the bottom couple of feet would be enough to be a bit more covered, which we could do with plants maybe.

slatted fencing, run some 4x2 between the posts horizontally, then nail 4x1 to them vertically. Same height as you have now, but lets light though, and more importantly wind too.
emma-fence-contractor.jpg

Or, some 4x1, 2x1, 3x1 etc, to make it look different.

Or, run the slats horizontally instead, then at the bottom you could have a smaller gap, then increase the gap as you go up gradually.
DIY-Horizontal-Slatted-Fence-12.jpg
(doesnt show the increasing gap size)
8e0367ddaacb72170856bfb9a4fdbed1.jpg

Or hit and miss, can only see through it one direction

vertical-hit-miss-fencing.jpg

Which could be vertical or horizontal.

Just make sure you put a cap on the top

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back