low garden wall replacement - footing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a stepped pathway leading down the side of the house to the bottom of each garden between us and next door.

The small garden wall (3 concrete blocks high at most) is built right on the boundary and against the steps if you see what I mean. The lower portion of this wall has been knocked over and I want to rebuild it exactly as it was but I will need to re-do the footings for this lower section as it looks as though the blocks were laid onto no more than 2cm (yes, 20mm!) of concrete on top of the compacted soil - probably the reason this section of the wall failed.

My question - I won't be able to place my 4" blocks in the centre of the 4"-6" deep 12" wide new footings as shown in all the guides. The wall needs to be against the steps, on the edge of any footing I can put in. How do I proceed, what amendments will I have to make to the footings in width/depth to allow three courses of 4" block to stand on the outer edge of the footing? I need an "L" shape rather than an upside down "T"

Please advise.

Many thanks,

Stefan

Sponsored Links
You can reinforce with a few steel rods driven into ground and incorporated into footing, this reduces risk of footing moving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back