Step or Jump footing

RD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've knocked down the existing garage and rebuilding a longer and wider one myself. I have started digging the footing, the ground is not level therefore I intend to step the footing in three places. My question is this, once I have poured the concrete, after it has dried I'm thinking of using concrete blocks (440X215X100mm) horizontally (100mm thick in the UK) to bring the footing to a level. Can I use concrete blocks? Are they suitable for the job? Or should I be using common bricks? which would be awkward. Obviously the DPM will be couple of bricks above the footing. Any help will be appreciated. The width of the steps will obviously depends on what I'm using to fill the gaps.

Sponsored Links
Your dpc should be 150mm above ground level.
This may be a daft question but why build on uneven ground, Why not level it first?.
Or is it not level for a reason ?

RD what you're doing is wrong, the bottom of your foundation should be level.

Sponsored Links
Stepping found's is not a problem so long as you step them in the corresponding increments, i.e. 75mm or 225mm.

Make sure the step overlap affords you full concrete thickness, i.e. when viewed as a cross section from the side the upper concrete step overlaps the lower concrete by at least 450mm.

bogbasher";p="1238607 said:
This may be a daft question but why build on uneven ground, Why not level it first?.
after you dug out if it looks level it is level concrete levels itself if its mixed correct, why step any way just buy extra concos ,probaly work out cheaper : never seen a guy yet put a level in footing before its concreted:cool:

Or is it not level for a reason ?

first of thanks for all the advice, I've been busy digging outside and I didn't have the opportunity to check my email until this morning.

Sorry perhaps I should have explained my self better. Your are right the ground in uneven and before I construct the floor I intend to level it. I was talking about the footing, the clay underneath the top soil is not level. If I didn't put steps then I will be pouring in some places over a meter of concrete, which I'm sure everybody will agree will be a waste of money. The size of the new garage will be approximately 8mX4m.

Im sure he meant stepping the top of the footings not the bottom.

You are right I'm thinking of laying concrete blocks side ways on top of the step, so I'm planning on leaving about 110mm (10mm for cement) steps to bring the footing to a level.

Stepping found's is not a problem so long as you step them in the corresponding increments, i.e. 75mm or 225mm.

Make sure the step overlap affords you full concrete thickness, i.e. when viewed as a cross section from the side the upper concrete step overlaps the lower concrete by at least 450mm.

I presume your measurements for the increments is based on the size of the material I'm using to bring the step to a level. ie bricks - 65mm + cement 10mm = 75mm. 225 for blocks.

I presume your measurements for the increments is based on the size of the material I'm using to bring the step to a level. ie bricks - 65mm + cement 10mm = 75mm. 225 for blocks.

Affirmative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back