Low loft height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I've been thinking about dormer extension. I live in a 2 bed bangalow. Problem is my loft max height is about 1.88 m. I know min for a dormer is 2.15 or something like that. What can I do? Have I got any chances of getting planning permission for building a dormer that is actually 40-50 cm higher than original roof? HELP.

Sponsored Links
Very unlikely you'll get PP for a dormer higher than the ridge. Some houses are just not suitable for loftys. A photo may help. Some people lower the ceiling but this is highly invasive, messy, more costly and obviously only suitable if you have a reasonable floor to ceiling in the floor below. Others have been known to raise he whole roof but there are obvious ramifications for this route too.

Incidentally there is no minimum ceiling height although minimum heights must be achieved if a all possible above stairs.

As FMT said, you could look at raising the roof, which does happen. Or... look at increasing the roof pitch. Both methods aren't cheap.

Agree, you won't get Approval on a dormer window structure higher than existing ridge. Lowering an exsting floor is a big + messy job.........the most suitable would be to raise the eaves level + ridge level. I know a few people who have done it, it can create HUGE amounts of room but there is a cost issue obv.

Sponsored Links
Agree with peca except you don't need to raise the eaves level. I've done several of these just raising the ridge. Still a major job though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back