Low Loss Headers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody give me any guidance on where to find information on Low Loss Header Design for domestic heating systems?
Any other guidance or pics would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Where did you find that term? Perhaps I'm stupid and/or naive, but I've never come across it and therefore have no idea what your question means.

The term "header" is americanese for an engine's exhaust manifold. I would therefore assume the guy is probably talking about "Flues" when translated into english.

Hope this helps

ps Great forum by the way

Sponsored Links
Just found this which goes some way to explain what Low Loss Headers are all about. Just installing a Valliant Ecomax at home so want to get as much info as I can to incorporate a LLH into the system if I can

Shouldn't we all be oot supping beer! Tis Sat nite :D

Low loss headers are not necessary for normal domestic installations. They are only appropriate for very large domestic or commercial installations where the pump built into the system boiler would not be able to cope with the demands of the system.

I've been on holiday in Italy, then tried to break my addiction to this site by not posting for my first few days back. But it hasn't worked!

We really need John the Scruff to give a good reply as most of the systems he fits use them.

I will try my best to explain how they operate!

Firstly, they are usually used on complex systems with heating demands of 40 kW upwards. The one exception was a simple boiler, the Chaufateau Flexiflame 140,000 BTU which had one fitted underneath as part of the system, it was widely used in launderettes during the 1980s.

The boiler output is put through a thick tube of say 52 mm upwards about 500 mm long so that if there is no demand the boiler output is shortcircuited and the boiler modulates down.

At each end of the "header" the flow and return is connected with its own circulating pump. In a maximum load condition the flow from the header will equal the flow from the boiler so there will be no flow through the 52 mm headder.

To anyone with RF electronics knowledge its rather similar to a 3 dB Coupler!

Sorry to anyone else, but its not such an easy concept to understand if you are familiar with it. Its not that important usless you are involved with industrial or large domestic!

Tony Glazier

Thats a vertical header which is exactly the same only much larger.

The idea is the primary water circulates around the header the muliple system flow and returns can then have a seperate zone with it's own pump and the smaller pumps are unaffected by the larger one.

It was common with larger system that when more than one pump was running for the larger one to rob the smaller pump and stop the circuit flowing, it has been known to actually reverse the flow through the pump.

Hope that all makes sense.

TD-001aa.jpg

DIA's pic shows the vertical header on the right - saying that just so I can point out that I know what they are ;) :p)

Take note of the sentence in the writer's article
He suggests a more judicious approach to applying these design techniques because he believes that it's possible to overuse low-loss headers.

Well quite, remember many US homes are 19 times bigger than ours. The Viessmann app note is for multi-boiler installations.

Having said that, the "big manifolds with a pipe between" is common enough on UFH installations, and is sort of a bit similar, and you can of course get pre-made setups or build your own from standard parts.

http://www.antaresint.com/PUBLIC/foto/E.600.jpg

http://www.antaresint.com/PUBLIC/foto/E.631.jpg

http://www.antaresint.com/PUBLIC/foto/E.633.jpg

An RF 3dB coupler is a device in plumbing terms designed to give you half the pressure you had before. Not the same thing at all to my mind!

But you get TWO outputs of 1/2 making a whole.

An RF 3dB coupler can also be used the other way round to combine two transmitter outputs!

Its not exactly the same I agree, probably a four port hybrid ring would be closer.

Tony

Later edit for Chris, nope, a 3 dB coupler has four ports but one or two of them are terminated depending on the application. If one is terminated it can be used as a splitter or combiner. If two are terminated it can be used to improve matching.

Your memory is failing you Tony - a coupler has one input, one out.
A matched splitter may be what you're thinking of.
I can think of analogies from other fields but I don't think this is an arena for expounding such things!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back