Low pitch roof finished with conventional tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house currently has a small kitchen with an adjacent outside toilet and then next to the toilet there is a small lean-to. I intend to extend the kitchen incorporating the toilet in the process. In addition, I would like to remove the lean-to and build a small utility room which would also be incorporated into the overall extension. As the house is semi-detached, I want to be sympathetic to the neighbouring property and as such, I would like to preserve the pitch of the roof for the toilet and construct a new "separate" but adjoining roof for the utility room which would also be pitched but at a shallower angle (around 10deg I think). The attached photo shows the existing tiled toilet roof and the lean-to next to it. Ideally I would like to "finish" the utility room roof with tiles similar to the existing toilet roof but realise that the pitch is too shallow to allow this using tiles on their own. So, my question is, would I need to treat the roof as though it was flat and construct it accordingly (if so what would be the easiest way for me to do this material wise) or could I construct something that standard wise was between flat and pitched (if that makes sense)? Essentially, I want to end up with something that looks in sympathy with the original building but lasts longer than a traditional pitched roof (felt material I guess).
thumbnail_20191125_151633.jpg

Sponsored Links
Personally I would either retain existing tiled pitch and make utility with a flat roof -modern systems last 30 years plus.

Its pretty doubtful you have the headroom for a 10 deg pitch and I dont think it would look too clever.

Or take off existing tiled roof, make a new roof with a flat roof in centre and tiled skirt around. You could even reuse the existing clay tiles, keep the same pitch too.

Get somebody to design the new extension for you taking the style of the existing building and everything you require into account. You might then end up with something that looks good and adds value to the property.

Thanks Notch - I think you might be right on that - will consider a flat roof but will look for something other than felt I think - possibly zinc!

Thanks Leofric - I have some experience on design (I have a couple of other properties which I have modernised/extended according to my designs) but am always open to suggestions. In this instance I am lucky as there are five identical properties with a number of them having been extended already so using the Council's Planning Portal I am able to see what other have done and add/amend accordingly. Some of what the others have done is just plain ugly and out of character!!

Sponsored Links
I’d get planning for one big leant tiled roof all the way. Forget your neighbours, they could move out next month and the new people slam a huge extension their side. It’s all about you having the most space inside and adding value.

Don't forget the neighbours, they could be coming on here in future complaining their neighbour has built a crap extension ----------:!:

Yes, you never know when you might need to ask the neighbours for permission to access their property so best to keep them on side I think! One of the other houses has a tiled pitched roof covering the old toilet and uitilty area and it looks awful as it hasn't been continued across on the adjoining property so I won't be doing that. Another set of houses did collaborate so their extensions extend across both houses but with a flat felt roof which doesn't look good so I also won't be doing that!
The more I think about it the more I am inclined to keep the existing pitched tiled roof and go with a flat zinc roof on the utility room. I think I will also go with a zinc roof on the loft conversion that I will be undertaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back