Low pressure at shower

Checked all valves and they are all fully open. All hot taps in the house are fine its just the shower so Im assuming its because of the routing of the piping going up instead of under the floor then just up to shower. Basically, there is a pipe coming out of the centre of the top of the cylinder. It then tees off, one going down under floor, the other going up to the loft. This is the vent line with the shower teed off it. There is approx 1m, maybe a bit more, from shower head to top level of tank. Even less with the rainfall shower as its nearly touching ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Checked all valves and they are all fully open. All hot taps in the house are fine its just the shower so Im assuming its because of the routing of the piping going up instead of under the floor then just up to shower. Basically, there is a pipe coming out of the centre of the top of the cylinder. It then tees off, one going down under floor, the other going up to the loft. This is the vent line with the shower teed off it. There is approx 1m, maybe a bit more, from shower head to top level of tank. Even less with the rainfall shower as its nearly touching ceiling.
What is the level difference between the tee to the shower and the cold tank water level? If it's too close it might be a problem. Usually it's most convenient to put the tee just above the loft floor level, so the pipe can be supported from the timbers, but maybe yours isn't.

Apart from that, I'm at a loss. As I said, I have about 1.3m, and video of mine attached, if it works. Not easy to see, but it gives an idea. It's OK for me, and the rose is overdue for a clean, I'll do that now!

Showers (file://DESKTOP-5LLM8R4/Users/user/Documents/Roger/Roger's%20docs/House/Showers)

Sponsored Links
This is the vent line with the shower teed off it.

Just an idea and by way of experiment....

The vent pipe going up from the T, could you try (very) temporarily blocking it with a wine bottle cork or similar and seeing if that makes a difference? My thinking is that the hot to the shower might be drawing in air along with the hot water.

Just an idea and by way of experiment....

The vent pipe going up from the T, could you try (very) temporarily blocking it with a wine bottle cork or similar and seeing if that makes a difference? My thinking is that the hot to the shower might be drawing in air along with the hot water.

Funnily enough I was also thinking this may be causing air to get in and not allowing any pressure to build up. Ill give it a try, cheers. If it cures my issue, whats the fix

What's the level difference? Maybe you have a very shallow tank.
The tee is at the same level as the bottom of the tank. The water level is not even a metre. There is no ceiling height where the tank is situated to increase the height of the tank

The tee is at the same level as the bottom of the tank. The water level is not even a metre. There is no ceiling height where the tank is situated to increase the height of the tank
So are you saying it's the best part of a metre from the tee to the tank water level? If so that rules out my theory, and probably Harry's as well.

The water tank is basically on the floor of the loft. The tee that goes to the shower is basically on the floor too, level with the bottom of the tank. I dont know how deep the tank is but I dont think the top of the water level is a metre above the tee

Well if the shower is tee'ed off the vent pipe, and there is no inverted 'U', that's almost certainly the end of the airlock theory.
As others have said, blockage or mucky filters?

Funnily enough I was also thinking this may be causing air to get in and not allowing any pressure to build up. Ill give it a try, cheers. If it cures my issue, whats the fix

I don't really know for sure - maybe one of the plumber might know. What it needs is a one way valve to allow it to vent, but not allow air in the other direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back