Low pressure from combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A mate of mine appears to have a problem with his combi boiler. I'm not sure of the model but the boiler is a Vailant, a big thing, nearly 5ft high! Given that the boiler cost him 3 grand (with fitting) I'm assuming it has a high power rating but the hot water pressure upstairs is little more than a trickle (downstairs is fine). The boiler itself is situated in the upstairs bathroom.

Any ideas what could be causing the problem?

Sponsored Links
it could be the plate heat exchanger blocked the flow guaze is full of cr..p

You need to identify boiler and measure flow rate (litres/minute). This can then be compared with what it should be for this model. (ignore previous poster ;) .)

chrishutt said:
You need to identify boiler and measure flow rate (litres/minute). This can then be compared with what it should be for this model. (ignore previous poster ;) .)

darren says he has a TRICKLE on the upstairs taps whats the point in getting instructions stating flow rates, so whats the point in putting a weir gauge under a trickiling tap we already know the flow rate is not right

Sponsored Links
Has it ever worked?

Is it fed from the cold water main?

Does the water pressure and water flow rate from all cold water tap outlets fed from the same supply which feeds the boiler seem reasonable? Could be difficult for you to judge this though. If possible get a static (no other taps open) and a dynamic (at least one other tap outlet open) pressure reading at a cold water tap outlet fed from the same cold water supply pipe so these can be compared to boiler manufacturers requirements. Also measure water flow rate rate under both scenarios

Why are you posting for a friend? Does he not have a coumputer/ internet or can he not write?

Like I said, its a trickle (quite literally takes 20 minutes to fill a bath!) but oddly the bathroom sink tap is fine. I guess I've just answered my own question there .... its the tap thats knackered! :rolleyes:

DP - I posted the topic out of personal interest rather than for the benefit of my mate.

Darren said:
I guess I've just answered my own question
Well you certainly haven't answered my questions. Why do you post questions here for us to answer but then ignore questions that we reply with? Can't be bothered? :evil:

You need to identify boiler and measure flow rate (litres/minute). This can then be compared with what it should be for this model.

1. Don't know the boiler type
I'm not sure of the model but the boiler is a Vailant
2. Don't own a flow meter
3. Didn't realise your post was a question. It's a statement.

Apologies, but no need to be hostile.

1. Boiler type - can you describe arrangement of controls so we can recognise model?

2. Flow meter = bottle and watch (how many seconds to fill 1 litre bottle?).

3. My post clearly expressed the need for information = Question.

4. Hostility is nothing personal. You're not the only one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back