low pressure on hot tap in bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help me,i have got really low pressure on my hot water tap in my bath, every other hot tap in the house is good but not the bath???
changed the bath taps at the weekend but to be honest it has never really been that good any ideas???????????

Sponsored Links
where is your cold water cistern that feeds the hot water cylinder....
its probably not very high up and hence ur not getting much pressure.
the type of tap will also hinder the flow

It's these modern taps - they use the same tap valves as the basin taps for mass production cheapness. The bore and washer etc on bath taps is too small for low pressure use. If you've used flexi-connectors that's even worse.

Perhaps the pros can tell us if there are any real 3/4" bath taps made anymore ? or the ceramic disc valves that are bigger than basin tap ones.

Sponsored Links
we have put a bath and shower mixer tap on will that make a difference to the way the water comes out should i revert back to normal taps or is there anything i could do to give more pressure???????

Have a look at the pipes feeding the hot tap. Hopefully they will be 22mm wide not 15mm. And see if there is a little stop-valve that you turn with a little lever (like a washing-machine tap) or a screwdriver; or if there is a flexible hose to the tap, probably with a braided white metal sleeve round it. All of these will constrict the flow.

Another interesting thing you can try: Put a bucket under the basin tap (if that seems to have a good flow) and time how long it takes to fill. Then time how long the bath tap takes. (bath tap should definitely not take longer, even if the flow seems sluggish). The apparant poor flow from the bath tap can just be because it is flowing through a bigger opening, so seems less squirty.

If you can be bothered, see how much higher the cold water tank in the loft is, than the bath tap. Some people like to put the cold tank on a platform to raise it and increase pressure in the bathroom (especially for a shower). Look at the size of all the pipes you can find from the cold tank to the cylinder, and the cylinder to the tap.

Any complexity or reduction in the bath tap will impede the water flow, I think you can't do better than an big, old fashioned shape of tap.

pipe size going into my hot tap in bath is 22mm
it took 10 sec to fill a plastic jug from my hot basin tap,then tried it on my hot bath tap it took 40 sec very poor,

Sounds as though there is something wrong - a fault rather than the design of the taps. The shower won't be much good but at bath level the flow should be at least as good as the basin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back