Low pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I posted a thread some time back about gas pressures and pipe sizing.
I had lots of helpful info (and a few not so helpful but hey!)
A year on and I still have problems.
I thought all was sorted. new meter outside, new pipework from the path to the meter.
Short (2.5m) 28mm run to the first T.
New (6m) 15mm pipework to the fire.
New kitchen, 5 burner hob run in 22mm and 15mm pipework.
I used to have a 2kw flueless gas fire, I was advised by a few on here to change it and they were dead right.
They should be banned, it was making people feel ill, take no notice of the fact that these things have 'passed' a safety test, they are evil.
Anyway, after getting all this work done I had a Valor Homeflame Harmony installed in June.
After much use over the winter months, paint was peeling from the surround and the glass was going 'smokey', I also noticed soot forming around the pilot. I had it tested and it was fine until peak usage time.
The fire dropped from 20 to 17, the pressure at the meter dropped from 21 to 16.
I think that I am at the end of a main pipe run, they have been replacing pipes around the village but not here.
I walk up the road and I can smell gas, if the pipework is old and there are leaks and I am at the end of the run are all these factors likely to be the cause of my low pressure?

Sponsored Links
I walk up the road and I can smell gas, if the pipework is old and there are leaks and I am at the end of the run are all these factors likely to be the cause of my low pressure?

More than likely, you could call National Grid & get them to check your governor but I suspect they would do nothing as if I remember right 16mb is their minimum requirement to you.
Also I was talking to one of the TOFO's the other week & he said the pressure is down in a lot of places as they are still running on summer pressures to reduce leakage.

Thanks for the reply.
Typical poor service nowadays.
With such poor pressure at the meter during peak demand it means that my appliances are not running at their optimum performance.
Shame they don't use the old 'lets fix the leaks' instead. They charge enough for the stuff.
I shall see how I go, Valor are replacing the parts on my fire, if it happens again I will have to see where I go to complain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back