Low retaining wall and damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I'm looking to build a retaining wall in my garden using hollow concrete blocks, about 0.7 metres high and then rendering it. What I'm unsure about is how to stop it getting damp and blowing the render. I'm assuming I can put some DPM between the wall and the earth behind but what do I do about moisture from the ground underneath the wall, should I use engineering bricks for the first couple of courses? I've seen quite a few retaining walls rendered all the way down to ground level, does this cause problems with damp rising through the render? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
The received opinion is that free-standing walls - and particularly retaining walls - should not be rendered. Partly this is because the rendering itself would be more prone to failure, and also it can trap moisture in the wall, leading to decay of the masonry due to frost- or sulphate attack.

Having said that, you see rendered retaining walls here and there which appear to survive. Maybe it's just down to site-specific factors.

It's your call.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back