Low shower pressure

JAD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a standard gravity fed, open vented hot water system. The cold water tank is in the loft, the hot water cylinder is directly below it on the first floor and the bathroom is on the ground floor. I have a regular (non-thermastatic) shower mixer that is fed by the same supply that feeds the bath and basin. The water pressure from the shower is ok but I want to improve it. My question is, "would raising the cold water tank by, say, 4 or five feet make any appreciable difference"?
I have read on this forum of the UPA 15-90 Home Booster by Grundfos. Perhaps this is a more straightforward solution? Could anyone tell me where in the water system it is fitted? Thanks

Sponsored Links
"would raising the cold water tank by, say, 4 or five feet make any appreciable difference"?
No. You have perhaps 13 ft head, which would become say 17. 30% improvement - would you notice if the shower head was 30% bigger?

Pump you mention is a single ended one I think - ie it only pumps one pipe.
Normal solution is to either buy a power shower box on the wall with a pump in it as well as the mixer, or fit a dual pump. Lowest you should bother with would be about 1.4 bar - about 50 ft head.

Proper way to connect is via a flange on the hw cylinder for the hot and the LOFT cistern for the cold. In your case it would be worth using closer pipes to see what the effect elsewhere is, as doing it "properly" might be a right royal pita.

You can for example buy a Stuart Turner for 117 + vat or a New Team for 93 + vat.
One is likely to be noisy and leaky - spend the extra.

Do a search on "flange"

Thanks for the advice ChrisR. I would find it very difficult to feed the shower with dedicated supplies from the HW cylinder and CW tank, as the drop is a complicated one under floors, down walls and behind fitted units! Which is why I was thinking of, perhaps, boosting just the hot supply close to the cylinder. Can I use a flange in the top of the cylinder, on the pipe that feeds all the hot water (not just the shower)? (I assume the flange prevents air being sucked into the pump?) JAD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back