Low voltage fairy lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has already been answered.
I have a set of string fairy lights that the cable needs extending, I could use an ordinary extension lead but it would be neater if I could cut into the existing cable and add an extension. The rated power is 31v- , 50hz. 8.4W. Would it be ok to use bell cable and block connectors?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
31 volt is not low voltage, it is extra low voltage, so either there is an error in the description or the lights are wired in series and have a supply over the 50 volt AC demarcation between low and extra low voltage, so it would be wrong to give advice when we have no real idea what you are talking about.

31 volt is not low voltage, it is extra low voltage ....
As often discussed, that depends upon what definition one uses. As you are aware, you are citing the BS7671 definition. However, as you are probably also aware, the IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission), which some might say is a 'higher authority', says ...
upload_2019-3-4_13-42-52.png

.. in other words, anything below 1000V AC is "low voltage".

... so it would be wrong to give advice when we have no real idea what you are talking about.
As you acknowledge, the OP has told us that we are talking about 31 V, and you can call that whatever you feel most appropriate. The only information we really need from the OP is the length of the proposed extension, so that we can give an opinion as to whether, in relation to voltage drop, 'bell wire' would be satisfactory for the ~0.27 A current involved.

Kind Regards, John

I have seen many ways to get 30 odd volt, with mains droppers (resistors), auto transformers, switch mode, and transformers, plus a mixture quite common to mix switch mode and transformers together. Some in essence you still have mains voltage, without knowing how you get the 30 volt to use anything not rated at 230 volt would be silly.

Sponsored Links
I have seen many ways to get 30 odd volt, with mains droppers (resistors), auto transformers, switch mode, and transformers, plus a mixture quite common to mix switch mode and transformers together. Some in essence you still have mains voltage, without knowing how you get the 30 volt to use anything not rated at 230 volt would be silly.
Maybe, but I was rather assuming (yes, I know) that the reported "31v- , 50hz. 8.4W" related to the output of the power supply (of whatever nature), as written on it. Hopefully the OP can clarify.

If, as is likely, the supplied cable from the PSU to the lights is something like 'bell cable', extending it with similar (VD allowing) would make the situation 'no worse' than it currently is.

Kind Regards, John

Bell cable tends to be solid, stranded cable is more suitable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back