Replacement for a broken connector for SELV fairy lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some fairy lights wound around my bannisters at home (indoors).

They are modern, LED fairy lights, which connect to a transformer. It's a Changzhou Jutai unit, model JT-DC31v6W-E2, which also has the letters SELV and IP20 on it.

The transformer itself is readily available.and I can buy a new ones from various places, for example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CubeplugTM-CZJUTAI-JT-DC31V6W-E2-IP44-Christmas-Lighting/dp/B084HNH267.

My problem is not with the transformer, it's with the round connector that plugs into it. It's a moulded plastic unit and - for the second time - the wires that feed into it have snapped off, just at the point where they enter the connector. Last time, I simply bought some more lights. Aside from being a waste, that involves spending an afternoon re-threading them around my bannisters!

I've figured out that SELV indicates that this is designed to be a Seperated Extra Low Voltage system and the IP20 means that it has fairly good intrusion protection. For these reasons, I guess, the connector is not really designed to consumer-replaceable.

However, I'd like to figure how (or whether) I could do so.

Stripping back the wires a little, cutting back the moulding and using electrical tape to reconnect the wires to the terminals would make my lights work again.
Alternatively, if I can find another set of lights that uses the same kind of connector, I could cut the connector of them, with some wire to space and connect the two with a choc box (I've been reading other posts on this forum on similar topics!)
It would be great to just get hold of a compatible component, which would allow me to just re-wire the connection on the existing lights.

a) does anyone know what this kind of connector is called?
b) does anyone know where I could obtain a new one, which I can cannect to existing wiring?
c) does ayone have any other ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20221119_190738.jpg
    IMG_20221119_190738.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 299
Sponsored Links
The picture tells nothing. Show us the pin layout and a vague idea of the size.

EDIT
Go on Amazon and search for
Christmas Lights Connector.

There’s lots of candidates.
Like these

Last edited:
You could probably butcher the old (clear) plug and solder some wires on, it won't be easy to work with as the wires are paper thin

The picture tells nothing. Show us the pin layout and a vague idea of the size.

EDIT
Go on Amazon and search for
Christmas Lights Connector.

There’s lots of candidates.
Like these
Two pins. the threaded exterior of the female connector on the transformer has a diameter of 16mm. The rounded exterior of the mail connector has a diameter of 13mm.

That link on Amazon looks like a good place to start.

Thanks, Taylortwocities!

Sponsored Links
Be aware that you're dealing with over 30 volts on the outlet and the IP20 rating is minimal at best
An IP20 rating means the product is touchproof and will be resistant to dust or objects that are over 12mm in size. However, it has no protection whatsoever against liquids and will be susceptible to damage if it comes into contact with sprays of water.

The 12mm relates to preventing insertion of a finger so it will hardly be resistant to dust - which is 5 and 6.

Be aware that you're dealing with over 30 volts on the outlet and the IP20 rating is minimal at best
An IP20 rating means the product is touchproof and will be resistant to dust or objects that are over 12mm in size. However, it has no protection whatsoever against liquids and will be susceptible to damage if it comes into contact with sprays of water.
I don't think that's really going to be an issue! ;)
I have some fairy lights wound around my bannisters at home (indoors).

My nose has those characteristics!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back