Water proof wire connectors.

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some 12 V garden lighting and pond pumps all of which are run through 12v transformers with wiring that shows it had been extended. The wiring was put in place some years ago and the person who did it used what I will describe as "Block connectors" to connect the wire extensions wrapping them waterproof tape which was then buried. When I was re-routing the wiring I found that to put it mildly, the block connectors had deterioted.
Is there a waterproof device that one can use that could be used to connect these wires placing it under about six inches of soil?

Sponsored Links
Yes, your local Q and B will sell them - small black boxes (size of a matchbox). Look for their Ring System lighting section.

Sponsored Links
Yes, your local Q and B will sell them - small black boxes (size of a matchbox). Look for their Ring System lighting section.

Those connection boxes are not designed to be buried. If you bury them they will suffer the same fate as the insulation tape method - failure.

If you wish to bury the joint then you need an enclosure with an IP68 rating.

The Pratly jobbies will do the trick, but at a price.

Cheaper boxes filled with Magic-Gel or a similar potting agent works well too.

It may be worth working out by what you call "waterproof". Thee are a lot of enclosures marketed as "waterproof", but they are not. They may be ok to join two lengths of flex and left in the rain and snow.
But chuck the joint into a fish pond and it will last a day, at best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back