Ceiling light connector question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced a light in my dining room and would like some advice please?

The cables Neut, Switch and loop have all fitted into the connector on the pendant (with a bit of fiddling the connector holes were very small) but the earth wires wont fit (too thick). I put them into one side of a choc block then took one wire out the other side (sheated of course) and connected to the light.

The connector on the lamp is a choc block type of connector as well

Is this ok regs wise?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The cables coming down from roof space were 6mm t+e and I used the earth core from some 10mm t+e as the connector wire with a sheath over it to signify the earth

I didnt want to use something too thin, is this right?

Sponsored Links
The cables coming down from roof space were 6mm t+e and I used the earth core from some 10mm t+e as the connector wire with a sheath over it to signify the earth

Wow:!: are you sure you have the sizing right?
I would be surprised if you would get a pair of 6mm cables in to a lighting terminal.

The cooker is on its own ring in the kitchen area

I got the cable sizing wrong it was 2x2.5 t+e for the lights and I used the earth core from a 6mm t+e to make the connector

I dont see what the cooker has to do with it, as the lighting circuit is seperate?

Also the only dedicated "safe zone" lights are in the kitchen area and the bathroom

I dont see what the cooker has to do with it, as the lighting circuit is seperate?
It was your cable sizing that prompted the concern, some people do idiotic stuff you know!
2.5mm still a bit on the large size for lighting circuits, normally 1.00 or 1.5mm. Sometimes it's difficult to get three cores of cable in a 5A connector.
What you have done providing tight and secure and continuity is still in place, seems fine.

It was your cable sizing that prompted the concern, some people do idiotic stuff you know!
2.5mm still a bit on the large size for lighting circuits, normally 1.00 or 1.5mm. Sometimes it's difficult to get three cores of cable in a 5A connector.
What you have done providing tight and secure and continuity is still in place, seems fine.

many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back