Terminal blocks in small metal ceiling light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi... I have installed a new ceiling mounted metal light fitting in place of a plastic ceiling rose/pendant fitting and would appreciate a more professional opinion about connector blocks (choc block type), just to give me peace of mind that I haven't missed a potential risk.
The wiring was very simple in principle but the L N and E coming through the ceiling didn't have enough slack to allow screwing into the small body of the light fitting so I have cut short lengths of new L N and E to splice on using an individual 15 amp terminal block to each wire which I have then pushed into the body of the light fitting.
At first I wrapped the terminal blocks in tape because I believed that used to be the norm, but after reading online that it's frowned upon these days I have removed it.
I guess I'm now just a bit edgy wondering if there's any way that having three choc block type connectors snuggly fitted into a metal light fitting could be dangerous even though I'm happy with how well the wires and screws have been stripped and tightened etc.
I am aware of the Wago versions but decided against them as I wasn't familiar with them and saw the old fashioned choc block type connectors as tried and tested.
So.... Do any of you more electrically educated people foresee any danger in having three terminal blocks pushed into a metal light fitting..?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I guess I'm now just a bit edgy wondering if there's any way that having three choc block type connectors snuggly fitted into a metal light fitting could be dangerous even though I'm happy with how well the wires and screws have been stripped and tightened etc.

No that is fine, just make sure there are no bare wire outside the metal connectors. Wago type would have been needed, had the joints not been in an accessible location, but that is classed as an accessible location, within the fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back