Metal ceiling light fitting - I broke the earth terminal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Had a horrendous time today putting up a metal ceiling light and now I'm concerned about the safety of it.

I have had to use a choc block to extend the neutral as couldn't get enough slack to fix it. The neutral wire was a few mm too short so in my frustration and several attempts at connecting I managed to break a metal strip which went from the earth hole of the choc block (which was already fixed in the light fitting) to the metal casing. This strip was prefitted to the light to ensure it was earthed once I connected the earth wire from the ceiling.

So, 3 questions
1) Is my extending of the neutral wire using a choc bloc safe enough?
2) How do I reattach the metal earth strip (which acts as the earth wire) back to the metal casing?
3) If there is no way to attach the earth wire/strip back on to the casing, is there another option??

The new light is a really expensive one and I can't afford a replacement.

Thanks in advance,

Jeanette

Sponsored Links
It MUST be earthed. Can you post some photos of the connections and the earth tag which has broken?

Hi, yes I will do tomorrow.

I had such a nightmare with it. It's possible I may be able to slightly undo one of the arms to attach the earth to, but the wire isn't currently long enough so I would have to extend using a choc block.

Is this a possibility? Is a choc block okay to use to extend the length of the earth so that I can pinch it between the nut and the casing of the light?

Thanks, Jeanette[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with using choc block to extend a cable within the enclosure if necessary, if it is done properly. A wago connector may be better however. If you can get a picture then we can have a look and advise you further. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back