ooh er!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced a normal ceiling light with a fan & light and followed what I thought were the instructions implicitly, but when I switch on the Fan or light (located in the Dining Room, the bedroom light goes off, when I switch on the bedroom light, the fan/light glows ominously. I think I may have one of the Live Red feeds on the wrong side of the choc block connector, if so how should the choc block be wired. Incidently there are 3 lots of twin and earth running to the light in the Dining Room.

Please help! :oops:

Sponsored Links
wiring%20lights%20schematic%20diagram%203.gif

All of the wiring to your lights should look something like this. I would check that all of your lights are wired like this. I think that you crossed over loop and live somewhere.
I don't know exactly what's going wrong here, I am a DIYer like yourself, but as of yet I've never had something go wrong like this. Doesn't sound safe though.

As for the light glowing ominously, you could somehow have connected it in series, and could be breaking this circuit to the bedroom light when you switch on the fan/light. In which case you probably got the line and loop the wrong way 'round, as well as a strange way of wiring things, and a possible mistake as regards polarity.

To get to the point, and in case I'm speaking garbage above, just check everything's like it is in the picture.

i take it you are in a bungalow? as the drawing shows, you should not have anything connected to thee 3 reds, your fan / light should be connected across 2 blacks (same choc bloc) and a single black (switched live)

Yeah

I'm in a bungalow. The choc bloc has three reds, three black & three g/y with two of each on one side one of each on the other, Have i got the swiched live on the wrong side? :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back