Low voltage mr16 downlighters replacement options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 12 of these, 8 in the kitchen and 4 in the bathroom. They are no problem, but obviously use more electricity and also discolour the paint around the fittings. Holes are about 65mm in the bathroom and 75 in the kitchen.

If I was replacing them with more efficient LEDs I seem to have 3 options:
1) Integrated unit, more expensive but longer life at around £30 pounds each.
2) Remove the transformers and replace the bulb fitting a GU10 type something around £10 each, but that is dependent on bulb compatibility with the existing fitting.
3) replace the transformers and use low-voltage LEDS. A single driver in the loft would be possible, but multiple downstairs.

I doubt that the existing fittings a up to the current regulations so integrated units has a certain attraction as I assume they can be have their design optimised. Specifically something like http://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/led-downlights/halers-h2-lite.html would seem to be ok.

Anything advise welcome or other options that I should consider?

Sponsored Links
To me GU10 is the way forward. We see so many posts where LED have been used with extra low voltage and have for some reason failed it seems on average GU10 is the way to go.

To me GU10 is the way forward. We see so many posts where LED have been used with extra low voltage and have for some reason failed it seems on average GU10 is the way to go.

The GU10 was the first type I considered, but they may not be compatible with the fittings.

Sponsored Links
If moneys no object id choose the integrated fittings, at least in the bathroom.
No worrying about single insulated mains voltage fly leads hanging round the metal fitting.
IP rating quarenteed with the right fittings so will minimise anything entering loft
possibly a warranty exceeding any off the shelf lamp.

I think everything will soon be plug and play sealed units soon and that GU10 led lamps have a limited life now and was only really designed as a way of asisting phasing out halogen as there is posibly millions of GU10 downlights out there

I used to rate the philips 12v leds but a recent poster had problems with them, but still unclear whether it was the actual lamps or a supply issue to them, so cant help you there

IP rating quarenteed with the right fittings so will minimise anything entering loft
Absolute nonsense.

Any IP rating which a luminaire has will relate to its performance in resisting ingress to the electrical bits.

If there were a market for them, I could sell lights with a sealed IP68 can set into the hub of this sort of thing:

cart-wheel.jpg

which you install by first cutting a 1m diameter hole in your ceiling. It would indeed be IP68, but it wouldn't do much for minimising the passage of anything from the room below to the space above.

cart-wheel.jpg

which you install by first cutting a 1m diameter hole in your ceiling. It would indeed be IP68, but it wouldn't do much for minimising the passage of anything from the room below to the space above.

Still marginally better than one fitted with an open backed fitting with a led GU10 wobbling about held in with a circlip, i would have thought

If moneys no object id choose the integrated fittings, at least in the bathroom.
No worrying about single insulated mains voltage fly leads hanging round the metal fitting.
possibly a warranty exceeding any off the shelf lamp.

I think everything will soon be plug and play sealed units soon and that GU10 led lamps have a limited life now and was only really designed as a way of asisting phasing out halogen as there is posibly millions of GU10 downlights out there

I used to rate the philips 12v leds but a recent poster had problems with them, but still unclear whether it was the actual lamps or a supply issue to them, so cant help you there

True, I forgot moisture ingress in the loft was one of the reasons for thinking I might as well change the whole light fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back