Low voltage wiring for domestic LED installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wiring an extension, all work being done under BC and am planning on using 4 LED uplighters to illuminate a 4 x 3.5m room via its vaulted ceiling.
The LED's I have are max 32V @700mA constant current devices and the drivers I have are 24V DC input DC-DC converters whose worst case open circuit voltage is 75V and therefore the max I can drive from one converter is 2 lights in series.
Control is via a 5V negligable current 1kHz PWM signal via a wall mounted potentiometer.

Can I cable the LED's and control gear using Cat5-e cable- I have some Belden shielded cable that is rated @ 450V DC & 300 AC and 1.4A per core?
I plan to mount the PSU's and DC-DC converters on a wall mounted board adjacent to the consumer unit so cable runs are likely to be max ~10m and wanted to minimise any RFI by earthing the shield & DC return.
Does this sound a sensible approach?

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't advise CAT5 for the power side- your load sounds a little chunky. I'd use 1mm T & E myself- it isn't much bigger than CAT5, much easier to terminate in power appliances, BCO won't be mithering you for certificates of compliance and if in 5 years you need mains powered LEDs you'll be able to reuse the cable without hacking the ceiling down (provided you terminate the CPC at each point or leave it available). If you are sending DC to the LEDs then there shouldn't be any RFI, the main potential source will be the control side, especially your DC-DC jobbies and/or the transformer supplying them. Do the suppliers specify any particular type of cable from converter to pot?- if so, follow their advice, if not, call them and ask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back