Low wattage frost heaters.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small washroom with sink washer dryer etc. Room is 2.4 x 2.4 with low ceiling 2.1.

It is a lean to building which I stripped and redid few years back. It's well insulated but has no heating because there was no normal wall space for it.

It's off the kitchen with a normal iternal door.

It goes as cold as about 10 degrees in the depth of winter so I was thinking of putting a low wattage tube or other frost heater in there.

I've looked at a Dimplex 200 watt tube heater is this capable of doing much?

Is it safe to plug something like this into a normal 13 amp socket permanently on over winter?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's safe - it will likely have no significant effect on temperature - and it will cost you £245 a year.

If it is well insulated, a 500W heater with a thermostat set to, say 12C would be more effective, and cost less, because the stat will only turn it on when really cold.

I have a pipe heater in the plumbing corner of my garage where the supply comes in, set to 5C, as a precaution against freezing.

A unit kWh of electricity will cost the same whether it is used at 200w continuously for 5 hours or 500w on and off for a total of 2 hours spread over 5 hours and will produce the same heat energy.

The only way the latter could be cheaper is if it was on for less time than that in which case it would produce less heat.

Sponsored Links
thermostat.

My one only come on during unusually cold nights. If temp is not at risk of freezing, it doesn't come on at all.

A thermostatically controlled heater is pretty sure to be more economical that leaving it on 24 hours a day.

I've maybe not been clear. When I said leave it on all the time I meant plugged in and switched on but obviously set with the thermostat.

Dimplex have 200 watt tubes and I've seen the 500 watt frost heater. Both thermostatically controlled.

How do I choose the wattage to go for?

Depends why you want it - if it is thermostatically controlled and just to stop freezing pipes - then the wattage will not affect the usage cost.

I want it to lift the room temp. At the moment there is a noticeable difference between the kitchen and washroom in the mornings.

I want some background heating to help lift the washroom temp so the kitchen isn't cooled by opening the kitchen to washroom door in the morning.

I could open the internal door and try and let yhe kitchen rad heat both but that would make the kitchen to warm.

There is no concern with freezing pipes. Also once the sun comes up solar gain from windows etc mean this is only a morning problem.

Thanks

I want it to lift the room temp. At the moment there is a noticeable difference between the kitchen and washroom in the mornings.
Ok.

I want some background heating to help lift the washroom temp so the kitchen isn't cooled by opening the kitchen to washroom door in the morning.
Then you need the washroom to be the same temperature as the kitchen.

I could open the internal door and try and let yhe kitchen rad heat both
Do that, then.

but that would make the kitchen to warm.
How do you work that out?

There is no concern with freezing pipes. Also once the sun comes up solar gain from windows etc mean this is only a morning problem.
Shut the washroom door when you get up, then - unless not sunny.

Appreciate your comments but your trying to overcome the problem by using the kitchen rad to heat both.

I'm more than happy to have an electric heater in the washroom.

By blasting the kitchen rad to heat the washroom also will mean it's very warm in kitchen next to rad. Like having two rads at the ends of a large room but only using one. One end cold one end warm.

Thanks

thinking sideways
a 100w light bulb if you have one will give out 100w off heat
200w if you have 2???

although he says "Frost" in the title, he actually wants to make the room warm in the mornings :confused:

I want it to lift the room temp. At the moment there is a noticeable difference between the kitchen and washroom in the mornings. I want some background heating to help lift the washroom temp so the kitchen isn't cooled by opening the kitchen to washroom door in the morning .... once the sun comes up solar gain from windows etc mean this is only a morning problem.
It now sounds as if you want fairly 'serious' heating, and that, if its is 'only a morning problem', you presumably want something that heats the room up pretty quickly. You appear to be contemplating the choice between 200W and 500W, but I rather doubt that even the later would heat that room to 'kitchen temperature' all that quickly, even though it's small. Don't forget that, as has been said, 200W is only the amount of heat you would get from a couple of 'old-fashioned' 100W light bulbs.

Kind Regards, John

although he says "Frost" in the title, he actually wants to make the room warm in the mornings :confused:
yes i did see that thanks
its more that 2x100w bulbs requires no outlay to find how good or bad they are
i personally think nearer 800-1kw will be required in a well insulated room although a 2kw fan heater by far will give the cheapest and quickest electric solution taking perhaps 20 mins to warm the room say to 18 degrees rather than the same amount off electric overnight getting to just say 13 degrees

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back