Lowering a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've bought a house and both the upstairs bedrooms have cracked and sagging ceilings. I don't think it's worth trying to patch them up and I really don't want to kick down the old plaster as I've just installed some loft insulation (d'oh).

I've got an idea of what I need to do. I just wanted some input to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid.

I'm going to buy 2x3 lengths of planed timber and run these perpendicular to the old joists (with the old plaster still on). I'll just put screws straight through these and into the joists above doing my best to make sure they are level. That's pretty much my plan right there. :)

What spacing would you recommend I should have between these, and this obviously affects what type/size of board I should buy? Anything else I've missed?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If they are sagging as well as cracked. Personally I would not do as you are suggesting which will load up the old ceiling even more.

It is common to board over old cracked ceilings into the existing ceiling joists. I would want to know why its sagging before I would even consider doing that!

The loft insulation would be the last of your worries, pulling down an old ceiling is absolutely filthy work. But I would still do that to finish with a better job. You get the chance to beef it up in places, noggins, repairs etc and so minimise the risk of future cracks.

Thanks for the reply.

It seems to be sagging because the old plaster has broken away from the joists above. I think the plaster is as old as the house (125 years) so it is due a repair. As far as I can tell the actual joists are fine as I've been up there and walked on them when installing the loft insulation.

id think about putting a couple of binders in and then underboarding as mentioned above.

Sponsored Links
Binders? Are these something to just pull the old board back onto the joists? Like a screw with a washer on or is there something you can get especially for this?

Thanks.

If they are sagging as well as cracked. Personally I would not do as you are suggesting which will load up the old ceiling even more.

It is common to board over old cracked ceilings into the existing ceiling joists. I would want to know why its sagging before I would even consider doing that!

Pulling down an old ceiling is absolutely filthy work. But I would still do that to finish with a better job.

I would never overboard an old ceiling that is sagging and in unstable condition. Although the new overboarded ceiling might look good, if the old one above it decides to give way, it'll take your new one down with it. :eek: Better doing it as Blagard says,, remove the old ceiling altogether, and "then" replace it with the new boarded one. There's a heck of a lot of weight hanging up there, in an old lath and plaster ceiling.

Binders are timbers that rest on the old joists and are supported both ends by either setting them on a wall or a joist hanger.once the binder is supported both ends then you screw the binder and joists together,normally 2 per joist.This then helps support the joists.Then you can underboard the old ceiling,making sure you use screws long enough to get a good hold into the joist.I would use 500mm screws if you have 2/12mm boards.

Binders are timbers that rest on the old joists and are supported both ends by either setting them on a wall or a joist hanger.once the binder is supported both ends then you screw the binder and joists together,normally 2 per joist.This then helps support the joists.Then you can underboard the old ceiling,making sure you use screws long enough to get a good hold into the joist.
I would use 500mm screws

Or would that be "50mm" Chuk,, :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back