Lowering a concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I am working on a 3 bed victorian terrace house. The front benefits from high ceilings but the rear addition is low and makes the room feel pokey. I'd like to lower the existing concrete floor by 245mm to give the additional headroom.

Does anyone have any advise on how to do this? Is it likely that I will dig under the existing foundations?

Best wishes

Ross

Sponsored Links
How low is 'low'?

Or better still, what is the difference in height betixt the two ceiling heights?

There may be the scope to lower the floor level regards foundations but bear in mind that there may be other things under the floor that may not be so easily lowered or shifted.

The dpc will also be an issue meaning that you will have 3 courses or so of bricks giving you a damp headache.

Electric sockets, light switches and radiators may all need lowereing.

You may also need to nail on an extra foot onto the bottom of the door or at least lower the head.

I personally think your idea is a bit bonkers.

Your in for a whole world of hurt if you try this. Fair enough for digging out a basement etc that will be tanked and not have anything much under it but in a ground floor room it's asking for trouble.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back