Lowering man hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

Would anyone be able to advise me on how I may go about lowering this manhole cover.

image.jpg

Many thanks. [/b]

Sponsored Links
Post pics of the interior of the m/h, and details of construction.

i'll get some pics inside it tonight, what do you mean by details of construction?

materials of the upstand chamber: clay, brick, plastic or steel, and the depth from ground level to bottom of the drain.

Sponsored Links
That looks very old... :eek:

I suspect it might crack at the first sign of disturbance if its clay.

Probably best off to rip it out, get a plastic chamber base and the ribbed side wall stuff you can cut to height along with a nice new cover.

But it won't be cheap, and if you uncover old clay pipes, you'll need to tie into them using rubber adapters.

The inspection cover screws are seized, I've soaked them in WD40 will try again tomorrow. The house was built in 1986 if that helps at all?

When wiggling the inspection cover I managed to do this.

photo-7.jpg

It's a 9 inch opening. Can I get a square cover with a 9inch male seal to push straight in?

Thanks for all your help.

1. Go to pavingexpert.co.uk/drainage and research manholes.

2. More pics of the interior at the top/join please.

3. Do/will vehicles use this area?

4. You can, most likely, re-use some of the materials that you have.

1. Go to pavingexpert.co.uk/drainage and research manholes.

2. More pics of the interior at the top/join please.

3. Do/will vehicles use this area?

4. You can, most likely, re-use some of the materials that you have.

Thanks for your reply,

1. I've had a look on paving expert earlier, it's an excellent site but couldn't see anything relating to my issue.

photo-8.jpg

The chamer opening is 9'' and currently has a rubber seal sat ontop for this mushroom cover I have to slide in.

3. Human traffic only.

4. I'd rather get a new cover as this only is very tired.

In the picture I need to new cover to be the level of the excisting slabs.

The woodblock flooring can only have been down since the solid floor was poured - when was that?

Why, you must ask yourself, was the original, suspended floor removed? Typically, damp and fungal attack is the answer. Is your ground floor level higher than the exterior ground level?

Are the door heads in the original area level?

This any good? The CLKS 300, L/H side of page. http://clark-drain.com/resources/CD_300_lft/

Will fit chambers from 220-300mm, i'm guessing you have a 225mm dia there. You'll probably have to remove that collar on the clayware, if its reluctant to come off put a hacksaw through it!

That looks spot on! Do you mean the rubber collar ontop of the current drain? If so I do need that gone to get the levels right.

Yes, the ClarkDrain cover will fit over the clay spigot.

If you cut through the plastic 'lip' on the leading edge of the collar with a hacksaw it should release the rubber seal, allowing you to pull the collar off with ease. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back