LPA consider my Coach house to be a flat for PDR purposes.

Thanks Woody. That is my first preference as we would get the required corridor to give an extra room. We plan to go for the pre-planning advisory and then take it up from there with Buckinghamshire council.

Do you know if at the time of applying for planning permission whether we can give a first choice and a second choice or do we have to go only with one set of plans as building control have given the go ahead to both sets and the structural engineer has also worked out the beams for both?

Sponsored Links
Waste of time and money going for pre planning advice, if they are at all negative towards your proposals it will not help your planning application at all. You can't give a first and second option for planning.

@freddiemercurys twin
Thanks for confirming that we are unable to give a first or second choice.
If pre-planning advice is a waste of time, what in your view is the best way for me to proceed?

As mentioned if it complies with local planning guidance it should be approved, though sometimes local planning guidance is a bit lacking and ambiguous. Have you read up on the local guidance? If not no then you need to as a first step.

Sponsored Links
Just make sure it's carefully designed to harmonise with the block and the neighbouring properties too. Good drawings can help a contentious design be visualised better. As can a design statement to support the proposal.

You submit the design you want approved and with certainty that it complies with policy. If there is any doubt, then you could have an alternative plan (not drawn fully, but in your mind or a rough outline) so that you can be ready to use the alternative on the initial application and withdraw the original.

A local council to me gives excellent pre-planning advice in the form of a comprehensive report which comments on the design and all the necessary policies it meets, so gives assurance that any application would be favourable, or where it is deficienct and needs more work.

For Woody and @ Freddiemercurys twins
Firstly, thank you for your advise.
There are several houses in the gated complex that have dormers. Our plans were similar to those. Only they have PDR and we don't on account of the classification.
We have the plans ready for both the options.
Only thing is the layout of the detached house. It is close to the back gardens of some houses who also have dormers. This can be objectionable by them if it goes to planning permission. I am very flexible on this and am prepared to cut out all the rear dormer windows whilst maintaining the dormer and just have sky windows on the front side as our detached coachhouse has no windows on the back or the sides but only windows in the front. This would be the only change from the original plan with the dormer.

If there are any comments on the above pl let me know.

This will allow me to take the appropriate steps in the quest for planning permission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back