Conversion with planning due tomorrow! Help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we have had an email response from planning stating that they will call us tomorrow. I'm looking for some advice on what not to say!

The situation is this:

3 bed semi detached bungalow (no garage)
Applied for prior approval 6meter single storey extension (granted, no neighbours objected) 2016.

8weeks ago applied for hip to gable, rear box dormer and small front dormer and porch - REFUSED based on incongruent to street scene big bulky rear dormer, size, scale, siting, poor architectural design. Our architect made a bit of a mess of the whole design to be honest.

We have started works under permitted development now, so no large porch, no front dormer. Street scene is the same.

Just doing hip to gable and rear dormer.

Have applied for lawful development certificate.

Question is this... In refused planning application the officer mentions a garage conversion and a garage. We don't have a garage. I emailed to say there were some possible inaccuracies on the public access report and could these be looked at.

Officer will now call tomorrow.

I would like to ask about our permitted Development rights and if we build within that then it means front aspect doesn't change and we can get what we need upstairs. We are within the cubic volume allowance for the loft and I've been told a single storey rear flat roof extension doesn't count towards volume (although it did 7 years ago).

How should I approach this conversation with the planning officer tomorrow??

Sponsored Links
If the work is PD then it's PD and nothing can be done about it. I don't really understand what the concern is.

Me neither, just that I'm a worrier! And I'm scared that a refused planning permission will be held against us for the new permitted development works!

No PD is PD, they can't do anything about it.

Just let the planner do the talking, be confident and assertive if what you are doing is PD and don't be a doormat. If need be, rather than giving responses that you think may go against you, just say you need to run things by your Architect or suchlike, so get the planners opinions without committing or commenting and then say you'll get back to him/her.

But its really difficult to see what the issue is from your post.

Sponsored Links
Sorry! And thank you. I don't believe there is an issue. All I'm thinking is that we have done single storey extension via class A of PD and now doing loft via class B of PD. Does it matter which order you do the works in?

Most cases down our road have done loft first then single storey. All have been approved within the volume limits and meter limits etc.

What do you mean by 'approved'? Was a Lawful Development Certificate obtained in each case? Anyway, it sounds like you're fine.

What do you mean by 'approved'? Was a Lawful Development Certificate obtained in each case? Anyway, it sounds like you're fine.
Unfortunately, OP doesn't seem to have updated us - this was nearly three months ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back